Jet Planer Thicknesser JPT-310

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnL

Reaction score
Hi Folks

I am seriously considering buying this planer, currently on offer from Axminster. What I am wondering is does anyone have first hand experinece of this machine. In particular, what sort of finish is achieved, are the rollers rubberised, ease of adjustment, noise level etc.

Thanks

John

Welcome

Waka (Tony) has this P/T and i think he's really pleased with it.

John,
Read on forum that they are being sold for £1000 not the £1389 as per price list,I asked the question are they OK? Answer appears to be quality is good so make sure you pick one up for the £1000!!

John

Worth every penny even if you pay full price, changing between modes takes seconds, cutter block is easy to get at the blade setting is a cinch.

Someone did complain about the fence not being up to standard, but i have to say that I have not experienced this.

My advice is go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Super machine. Solid, easy to set and produces good results. Serated infeed and rubber outfeed rollers.

Thanks for all the replies so far. Interesting point about the fence. Oddly it actually advises in the Jet literature that the fence is easily drilled to accept a hardwood fence. Nice to hear about the rubber out feed rollers, good clean finish with no indentations. Its funny, I've never really considered buying Jet before. I've mainly been an Elektra Beckum (sorry, Metabo) man until now.

In my head I've been drawing comparisons between the Scheppach HMS 2600ci which is also a nice machine (and slightly cheaper). I've also seen this one in operation at a local dealer's open day.

Waka, the Scheppach has a very accurate depth mechanism, I think the guy demonstrated down to 1/10th mm, if you ever had to go this far? What's the Jet like.

John

Hi John

I got myself one of these about a year ago and really am pleased with it. The scale on the thicknessing handle is graduated in 0.1mms and easy to dial in. If I move the fence I always check before planing an edge as I have found that it may vary very slightly as it goes across the table but I class that as acceptable. Setting the blades is a breeze and I very rarely get snipe.

Cheers, Ted

Hi John,
I've had my Jet for about 6 months now and am very happy with it overall. I had a few misgivings at first, mostly regarding the fence (bore yourself with the whole saga here), but have come to view it's minor flaws as "eccentricities" rather than problems.

It's built like the proverbial brick s***house though and I don't expect to break it any time soon :) - something I would not say about it's nearest rival the Scheppach, which when I examined it (closely) fell well short of acceptable in many areas IMO. Given the current sub £1000 price of the Jet at the moment I'd say there's no contest, get one quick before the price goes back up.

Just a couple of things worth noting:
1. while it is as accurate as the Scheppach, with the thicknessing adjuster graduated in 0.1mm increments, you must take a minimum of about 0.5mm off at a time when thicknessing to remove the marks left by the serrated steel infeed roller.
2. make sure you have some stout lengths of timber and a strong friend around for unpacking the beast and getting it off the pallet base - at 230Kgs you do NOT want to put this down on your toe 8-[
3. prepare your electricity supply - I have a dedicated 16A circuit for my TS and the Jet persistently popped the breaker at startup untill I upped it to 20A.

Hope this helps
Mark

John

Sorry for the late reply, regarding accuracy of depth, I'm sure that if you wanted to do a 10th of mm then you can with the front scale, my WW doesn't run into 10th of mm so I don't have to worry.

Back