Jet pillar drill opinions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woof

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello there Mark,

I have the Jet JDP-10 and it is a great bench top pillar drill, perfect for a small workshop. I made a drill press table for it and that was a big improvement, helping with work holding, accuracy etc.

The number 10 represents 2 times the gap between the drill and pillar in inches, in my case 5 inches. The number 13 must be 6.5 inches.

I would endorse your choice, and think Jet machinery is good quality and value for money.

Hope this is helpful, cheers, Tony.

Escudo":1kqpsk76 said:
The number 13 must be 6.5 inches.
I'd have expected 13 to be the chuck capacity in mm ( 1/2" )

I nearly bought a Jet. as I have a couple of Jet machines with which I am happy. My main gripe with virtually all new budget machines (ie anything sub 1K) is the quill travel. 85mm max, some machines rather less than that. Jet do a number of machines that are not available in this country that would be just the job for a serious home woody.

Instead I've waited and waited and finally bought a Meddings on eBay. It is single phase, so no problem with the electrics, and in generally good condition. It's a bit old, so doesn't have a rack & pinion crank for the table, and today I've bought a new NVR switch for it. I'm also tempted to strip it down and repaint it, not that it is very bad in that respect, it just looks its 30 years or so.

Even if I do that I shall have change out of £200. Yes, it's some work, but I expect to have a Rolls-Royce instead of a Ford.

If you go down this road look out for a 3Phase machine. Some can be rewired for 230V. I don't know the details of this, but I bet someone here does. A primer on motor conversion would be very welcome here guys, hint-hint!

Just a thought.

Steve

Steve Maskery":o2exxqt2 said:
.....Instead I've waited and waited and finally bought a Meddings on eBay. It is single phase, so no problem with the electrics, and in generally good condition. It's a bit old, so doesn't have a rack & pinion crank for the table, and today I've bought a new NVR switch for it. I'm also tempted to strip it down and repaint it, not that it is very bad in that respect, it just looks its 30 years or so.

Even if I do that I shall have change out of £200. Yes, it's some work, but I expect to have a Rolls-Royce instead of a Ford.

If you go down this road look out for a 3Phase machine. Some can be rewired for 230V. I don't know the details of this, but I bet someone here does. A primer on motor conversion would be very welcome here guys, hint-hint!
Wondered about the possibilities of rewiring or conversion myself as I am still trying to make a decision which pillar drill to go for. Did a little research on the net and it seemed to indicate that you cannot rewire 3Phase. Found This article and after reading through it decided that this way outside my comfort zone and understanding - also came away with the impression that to change 3Phase to single likely to be an expensive option.

Cheers :D
Tony

Escudo":1v40p93x said:
Hello there Mark,

I have the Jet JDP-10 and it is a great bench top pillar drill, perfect for a small workshop. I made a drill press table for it and that was a big improvement, helping with work holding, accuracy etc.

The number 10 represents 2 times the gap between the drill and pillar in inches, in my case 5 inches. The number 13 must be 6.5 inches.

I would endorse your choice, and think Jet machinery is good quality and value for money.

Hope this is helpful, cheers, Tony.
Cheers Tony, saw your previous post recommending the JDP 10. I think this isn't available any more so are left with "upsizing" to the 13 model. Gotta say so far my experiences with Jet have been great.

visited poolewood (don't know how to do links) a couple of weeks ago and they had a small jet pillar drill that was reduced by 25% as the model was being discontinued. may have gone now though.

colin

Steve Maskery":12trwo1v said:
.........If you go down this road look out for a 3Phase machine. Some can be rewired for 230V. I don't know the details of this, but I bet someone here does. A primer on motor conversion would be very welcome here guys, hint-hint!
Well, I was hoping someone might take up Steve's hint for info. As no one has I asked the question on an electrical forum got 2 answers

1. You'll need an inverter or a 3 phase supply to do it properly, or buy a single phase motor.

2. An invertor is a way of running a three phase motor from a single phase supply but a cheaper method is that a three phase motor with two accessible terminals per winding can be wired to work as a single phase motor by using two of the windings as running windings and the third winding as a starting winding with a capacitor and switch(usually a centrifugal type but could also be driven from a Tachometer)which disconnects the start winding once started and the motor runs on the other two windings.
In olden days before health and safety rightly put stop to such a practice, simple wound motors could be started by hand by twisting the shaft and then very quickly standing back :D
some smaller motors including those on small drilling machines could even run on a permanently connected capacitor start winding ie no switch.

Think that the rewiring is outside of my comfort zone :shock:

Cheers :D
Tony

Back