Warco or Axi

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petey83

Established Member
Reaction score
Looking at a drill press and before anyone says it I have looked at second hand and just had no luck finding anything decent looking within a reasonable journey from me.

I think I've narrowed it down to the Warco 2b5 or the Axi Hobby ahdp16b

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ho ... ill-101926
http://www.warco.co.uk/drilling-machine ... chine.html

The Warco looks better spec but don't know much about them as a company. Axminster have great customer service which is always a plus.

Can't find any real reviews on either machine so any help appreciated.

I had the same decision about 6 months ago and was considering the Warco as well. Was about to buy it on several occasions but kept waiting and got a Draper Metalworker locally for £100 that came out of a school. It's a bit noisy and had a bit of run out but i fitted new bearings to it and it's now acceptable. Bought it primarily because it had 80mm of travel and is just about acceptable for what i needed it for. I'm still looking for a better second hand one though and will sell it on when i find one. If it hadn't come up i would probably have gone for the Warco.

Hi Petey,

Not sure how helpful this is but thought I'd chime in - I was actually at Warco's showroom last week as I was interested in a table saw and their setup seems to be very good and both the people I spoke to were extremely nice and the guy seemed to know his stuff. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them.

I also had a quick look at that Axminster drill press when I was in the store this weekend just gone (again looking at table saws) and seemed decent enough from just looking it over, smooth in travel and no play I could detect when it was fully depressed. Sorry I cant be of more help!

Nice informative first post chris-a. Welcome.

It's good to know as i am still part considering the Warco if i can't find a decent second hand one locally.

I've had a Warco lathe for many years. Good company to deal with, nothing to choose between them and Axi really, whichever is most convenient for you.
If you're ever in the Guildford area their showroom is well worth a visit.

Interesting comparison between the two, the Warco weighs in at 63Kg with a 550watt motor the Axi at only 37Kg and 375watt, I wonder where the extra weight is in the Warco and if its an indication of quality? the only plus point I can see on the Axi is the keyless chuck.

Mike

Warco have been around for at least 20 years so not a fly by night company. As mentioned above looking at the weight of the two you have to presume the Warco is far more solid construction. I only have a cheap Clark machine and that has lasted 20 years with no bother but it's not the most precision tool in existence. Most elements about accuracy can be adjusted on a drill press except play in the quill so if you get your hands on either I would plunge the chuck and push back and forth to look for play. Last time I was in Axi looked at one of their supposedly up market drills and there was a fair bit of play in the quill.

Good to here that people rate Warco as a company as back up service is always important. Looks like the 2b5 may be the one then as the spec is better than the Axi model.

The Warco is definitely a better spec - the extra spindle travel is worth it - its a lot heavier - and actually similar to the next size up Axi - if they still sold it .
Price wise they are the same - I would buy the Warco - as I think the Axi is over priced - and all the prices will be going up in the future.
Just need to check the drill carefully when you get it - Model engineer site will get you info about Warco as a company - well established.

Petey83, I'm considering the Axminster Hobby Series AHDP16B Bench Pillar Drill but a search turned up this thread and the Warco 2BS which looks to be a great machine. Which machine did you buy? How has it been? Would you recommend it?

Superstrat":1ncxv8sn said:
Petey83, I'm considering the Axminster Hobby Series AHDP16B Bench Pillar Drill but a search turned up this thread and the Warco 2BS which looks to be a great machine. Which machine did you buy? How has it been? Would you recommend it?

sorry for the delay in responding buddy.

I went with the Warco. The specs were better than the Axi equivalent in the same price range. For what it is it is decent, yea its made in the peoples republic and yea it wont be as good as an older made in UK / US / Europe machine but it is perfectly serviceable.

As with all things like this run an eye over it when you get it to to check for obvious QC or mechanical issues. Also the tensioning lever for the belts really needs to be pulled tight otherwise it seems to slip the belts in operation thus reducing the RPM form what the setting should be giving you.

Petey83":32slpa0c said:
Superstrat":32slpa0c said:

sorry for the delay in responding buddy.

I went with the Warco. The specs were better than the Axi equivalent in the same price range. For what it is it is decent, yea its made in the peoples republic and yea it wont be as good as an older made in UK / US / Europe machine but it is perfectly serviceable.

As with all things like this run an eye over it when you get it to to check for obvious QC or mechanical issues. Also the tensioning lever for the belts really needs to be pulled tight otherwise it seems to slip the belts in operation thus reducing the RPM form what the setting should be giving you.

Thanks for that, I've been comparing both the Warco and Axminster offerings (Axminster ATDP16B v Warco 2B12) and they do look to be the same machines. They're almost certainly from the same factory but the Warco machine is just £338 compared to the Axminster at £435. Looks to be a no-brainer if you can put up with a couple of minor differences and Warco's colour scheme :shock:

Do not underestimate the keyless chuck on the Axminster, that would be a £80.00 addition to the Warco.

Mike

MikeJhn":3b554opt said:
Do not underestimate the keyless chuck on the Axminster, that would be a £80.00 addition to the Warco.

Mike

A very good point, well spotted.

Back