Jet JPT310 Planer/Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually it looks like the very newest stuff has upped it's game a tad. I'm not saying their new P/T is rubbish, I haven't seen it to properly comment. Just some considerations from the pics.

Startrite are no longer the company they used to be. They are the supposed industrial arm of Record. But no longer are their machines produced in the UK. So like all of the tool companies, it really depends on whether they have made the right decision on which machine to import. To be honest, I've not heard a lot about the 'new' Startrite. Maybe the trades and industry are buying them.

I know what Roger is saying, the Jet260 is on my shopping list next and I went to see it at axminster, the fence did look a little less than standard but I think the flimsy roger is refering to is the face that the top has to be light enough to lift and on flipping it up it felt solid. I couldn't get it back down thou so I had to hide in world of festool for a while.

I think the reason startrite brand doesn't get a lot of press is cause its not sold widely in the usual retail circuits, I've been to all the big tool shops in the midlands and never seen a startright in the flesh.

Record and Startrite are the primary, non industrial, sellers here. Crazy price for new Startrite equipment here too.

'Here' as in 'here in Ireland'.

Chems":2jk4vsrr said:
. I couldn't get it back down thou so I had to hide in world of festool for a while.

There's a small locking latch on the right hand hinge.

Once again thankyou for your comments, eoinsgaff thanks for pointing out the startrite, I will have a look at one at Yandles. Where did you see it for £1043.00 I can only see it priced at £1200.00.
Wizer thanks for your comments, it seems you got into a bit of an argument, but the points raised are very helpful.

Regards, Mark W

I'm thinking of getting one of these but would have to move it through the house, down some steps and then 50m to my workshop.

It would assist if I could lighten it by removing the tables and motor. Does anyone have any experience or other relevant knowledge of doing this?

I have seen the manual on the manufacturer's US web site and it all seems to be possible.

Many thanks,

Bunnyboiler

Don't know that particular model but I've disassembled an old cast iron p/t to be able to move it up some stairs. As long as you don't have to fiddle with spring pins and ball bearings it should be doable.
The major drawback is that you'll loose all (most of) the settings and will have to fine tune everything from scratch.

The only point of concern is that some parts might have been adjusted at the factory using metal shims (most probably the assembly of the thicknesser table and its column to ensure parallelism to the cutterblock).
You'll have to keep track of them to restore the original settings.

You could remove the motor but it will be hard work to put back on, I have just changed the belt on my one and the access is not to good.

I think you will have a major fine tuning job if you remove the tables.

The machine is not really that heavy and if you can sit it on a trolley is quite easy to move and with a board on the steps you may not have to take it apart.

It is a good machine I have had mine for over 4 years now and have run thousands of feet of wood through it.

I have just bought a seperate thicknesser but will keep the 310 as a surfacer.

Tom

Thanks Tom.

I note what you say about the motor, although it was the re-adjustment point that was bothering me.

Since posting this one I have spoken with Axminster. They say that the way to do it, is to remove the hinge pins but I suspect that this is easier said than done. It might, however, get over the need for re-adjustement. They have promised to email a manual to me which I await.

Bunnyboiler

Looked at my planer

I can't see how you would get the hinge pins out without unbolting the tables off the machine first, then you are into trying to set them back up.

Tom

I strongly advise you not to remove the tables at all. When Blister's tables where out of alignment on delivery, they sent an engineer to fix it, who promptly replaced the whole machine as realignment would have took too long and he was uncertain he'd get it right!

I would look into a crane!

Thanks to both of you.

It seems pretty clear that I shall have to handle it in one piece.

Bunnyboiler

At some point I'm going to have to remove the tables from my Jet 260. The only space I have for a workshop is in the cellar and the steps down make it impossible to take the PT down in one piece (too narrow and steep). Looking at it I think it should be a matter of just removing a few bolts to take the whole table and hinge assembly off. There may be shims under the hinges but they should be easy enough to keep track of. I struggle to see how alignment would be seriously affected but I'm willing to learn enough about it that I can correct any problems I cause.

Wobblycogs,

I don't know how closely the 260 resembles the JPT-310. However, on the US website (www.jettool.com/manufacturing/en/home.html) can be found the JJP-12 which seems closely to resemble the JPT-310. You can download the manual which gives some information on table adjustment.

I leave it to you to decide whether the information is applicable to the 260 and how successful you are likely to be in using it.

Best of luck,

Bunnyboiler

Back