Jet JPT-310 Planer/Thicknesser.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you need to put more thought into that Rob

woodbloke":23qz9aba said:
I was slightly dismayed to see that the cast iron fence has to be completely removed to turn it into the thicknessing mode.

I've just taken delivery of the Axminster model, and to be honest that design "feature" is really bugging me at the moment.

It's doubly annoying because the fence ALMOST moves off the tables- just fouls a couple of lugs at the side. I'm wondering if I could make a replacement mount for the fence that would allow it to slide further back.

What's the chip collection likewhen thicknessing on the Jets? It's pretty poor on the Axminster...

I have a 310, my best value tool ever, I should think. Would definitely buy again with all hindsight. Built like a tank. Get the digital display if your eyes are less than perfect - rather plasticy for 50 quid but so easy to set thicknesser, and accurate to considerably better thant 0.1mm, easy to thickness to within a few plane passes of desired dimesnsion.

It does have some flaws. The fence - was subject of long series of posts here. The newer machined fence is a bit better, but still not furniutre flat. The original "cure" is needed on this too. Also fence is a bit agricultural - nice and rigid, but doesn't stay at 90 deg (or whatever setting) to the tables when moved, so check every time.

See my earlier posts re:
1/ minor quality issues - lumpy V belts and missing washers
2/ fitting of Felder table extensions for ~ 3M tables
3/ adjusting tables (manual is c-x!p on this)

wizer":3cxgfir1 said:
I think you need to put more thought into that Rob
:-k :-k ...so the 260 or the Ax, bearing in mind that there's a price difference of £300 roughly? - Rob

Another thing to bear in mind with both Jets is that the tables are parrallel lift (like Felder) so the machines can stand against a wall. I bought a 310 and a saw/spindle moulder (D'Amattoamacchine - don't ask) and they take up much less space than would a Universal and there are all the other advantages of separates.

Rob I think you are upgrading from a current P/T? I just don't think upgrading to the Axi model is a significant upgrade to make it worth it. IMHO.

Even with the Ali fence, taking it on and off will be a pain in the back of even an able bodied fellow before long.... again, IMHO

wizer":3ma6n8ub said:
Rob I think you are upgrading from a current P/T? I just don't think upgrading to the Axi model is a significant upgrade to make it worth it. IMHO.

Even with the Ali fence, taking it on and off will be a pain in the back of even an able bodied fellow before long.... again, IMHO
Tom - you may be right there...it's just that I have the feeling that I'm being nudged down a slightly steeper inclined 'Slope' than I'm used to 8-[ :) - Rob

Well perhaps don't aim to replace the whole kit in one shot. Get whatever you think you need first and wait a year for the next one.

If your ever over this way then you're more than welcome to pop in and give it a test run. It's the one machine I keep in fine fettle ;)

I had the clone of the axi p/t, and yes, changing the fence was a major pain in the buttocks. I kidded myself for ages that it wasn't a problem, but became more and more irksome as time went by.

The chip collection is poor too.

However, it did have adjustable infeed and outfeed unlike the smaller Jet and is cheaper.

If I had the choice again - I would save the extra money and get the Jet. If money was the sole factor, I would still be happy with the Axminster, but would have to live with lifting off a heavy fence every-time.

rkchapman":3lrh3f4g said:
It's doubly annoying because the fence ALMOST moves off the tables- just fouls a couple of lugs at the side. I'm wondering if I could make a replacement mount for the fence that would allow it to slide further back.

Yes, that's definitely the most annoying part - it looks as if it will just about go until, 'clunk'! :x I don't see why, with the appropriate kit, you couldn't modify or produce something that would allow for the required clearance... Of course, if you do get anywhere with that, I'd be very interested to see the results! :D :wink:

With regards to raising the beds, they both have to be lifted independently and hang back past 90°, required slightly more room than the Jet. If you're really short of space, you may also need to remove the bridge guard on the AW106PT as well.

Rob, I agree with Tom's comments on upgrading. I think you currently have a Kity P/T? If so, I'd aim to eventually go one step further and save up for one of the Jet machines. Otherwise, it is questionable just how much of an upgrade you would really be getting.

OPJ":22j4qrdi said:
Rob, I agree with Tom's comments on upgrading. I think you currently have a Kity P/T? If so, I'd aim to eventually go one step further and save up for one of the Jet machines. Otherwise, it is questionable just how much of an upgrade you would really be getting.
Enough!..I'm convinced. Jet260 it'll be, says Rob returing to the 'shop muttering about the bloody Slope...it's got me again :evil:

Edit - ...only kidding :lol: :lol: - Rob

Looking around for a PT too. Had been considering a used machine, but it is what to go for. The Scheppachs seem to be a favourite here, is it the HMS 260 that was the most popular in a recent survey? Are they comparable to a Jet? (ignoring the price difference for a minute!)

Any other suggestions greatfully received!

Welcome...

NotherNewbie":26awp2av said:
Are they comparable to a Jet?

No. Different league altogether. You're better off with the Axi if it's a toss up between those two.

Ok you Jet boys,another question what is it like setting the blades after a resharpen?

Thanks for all the comments so far,and I can feel myself on the start of the Jet slippery slope :shock:

Mark.

I've just realised that nobody has mentioned the Record Power PT300 yet! :D :wink:

From what I've seen, it's had good reviews all round. Appears to be a vaguely similar build to the AW106PT but, bigger. :)

Mark, same as any other P/T. They supply a 'jig' which is a piece of box alu with a notch in it. You're supposed to rest it on the knives and when you rotate the block the knives should advance the 'jig' by exactly the length of the notch.

I didn't get on with that method, so use a dial calliper. It can be frustrating, but no more than any other machine.

Latest posts

Back