Jet AFS-500 air filter PCB repair – help please.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to everyone here for their input. We have 3 of these in our Club that are 5 years old and have failed, and one of our members has an 18 month old one that has also gone....think I'll be making good use of the RS 5 pack

Best Regards

Bill
BWTC

Bill, welcome and thank you for adding to this thread. I hope this fix will restore all your filters to proper working order - please let us know how you get along.

Jack

Polarbilly":itih4pvf said:
Thanks to everyone here for their input. We have 3 of these in our Club that are 5 years old and have failed, and one of our members has an 18 month old one that has also gone....think I'll be making good use of the RS 5 pack

Best Regards

Bill
BWTC

That's a pretty damning indictment of the lousy design of Jet electronics !

The design works it's just the accountants pushing for the cheapest component.

Pete

Hi,
out of the 4 we had faulty, replacing the capacitor restored 2 to full health. Unfortunately, we have one that has completely died and the other makes all the right noises and flashes the correct diodes but exerts no control whatsoever,just turns on and runs at one speed when plugged in. Fortunately we had a spare remote control adaptor and we now control with this until we can figure where to look next...

thanks again for all your help

Bill
BWTC

Thanks for the update Bill. I’m pleased you’ve managed to repair two of your Jet air filters and they’re now working as they should.

Concerning the other two filters, if the fuse has blown on the ‘dead’ air filter’s PCB that would prevent the motor from running and the control circuitry from responding to commands, so as a first step it might be worth double-checking the fuse to see if that’s where the fault lies.

As for the remaining ‘one-speed’ air filter I guess the fault could be either on the PCB or with the motor unit, so trying the suspect PCB in a ‘good’ filter would hopefully identify which of the two to investigate further.

Please let us know how you get along.

Jack

Hi Guys,

Complete novice but here goes...

Just reading through the the posts on this thread... you lot are the bomb.

I too have one of these machines that has... check this, done 1 hours work and developed the same fault as most of the posts but exactly the same as rogers's problem.

When pressing the buttons on the machine or using the remote, they don't ramp up the speed very much at all. Though I originally bought this machine in 2012, it has only done i hours work on low speed.

A long term illness and things on the house have turned a short term shop set-up into a long term shop set-up :evil: I had just switched on the unit to check it and had the same problem as all of you guys. The motor just doesn't get up to anything more than a gentle spin on low, med, or hi. Even on high you can still make out every single fin on the motor fan when viewed through the rear vent.

It did the same thing as rogersS when it was moved to the ceiling about a year ago i.e. even though it was switched off, it was making a grumbling noise and trying to spin the impeller.

Am wondering if replacing the cap with the mentioned RS on will sort mine.

Had a radge at Axminster tech guy over time versus use... deaf ears as you would expect. Said capacitor would be £17:40 but out of stock anyway for at least 5 to 6 weeks. I asked if this was a common fault and tech said he had never come across it before. Yeah... I bet.

Thanks fellas in advance if you could help a complete novice. Am completely fine with soldering etc.

Kind regards
Ian Dean

Hi Ian,

Definitely sounds like the capacitor replacement would fix it. And put it this way, we're only talking of being a few quid out of pocket if it doesn't work, whereas otherwise you have a glorified metal lump that actually collects dust on top, rather than in the filters!

Good luck.

Glyn

Thanks g,

I know... don't mind a few quid, it's the principle that narks the rubbish out of you isn't it? Tech at Axmin said cap £17:40 or board £48:00 don't know if that is +vat or including vat.

Couldn't believe this after only an hour on low... what a piece of Chinese rubbish?

Was going to inspect the joints with an eye loupe before ordering RS cap, or pack of 5 did someone say? Don't think I will be re-soldering all of them to check though as another member suggested.

Thank you for the input g
Ian

Hi Guys,

Just a quick message to say thank you for the help in this post.

A very nice man, not connected to Axm------ directly, sent me out a new PCB as a gesture of goodwill, and it is now running as it should be. Happy days. Proper customer service, a rare commodity these days.

I might try the RS capacitor fix and keep that one as a spare for when, I mean if it happens again :-#

So thank you all for the help and I will now use this forum as my go to and see if I can help others with other posts.

Kind regards

Ian

I think this thread should be made a sticky!

My Jet has started paying up again with exactly the same fault as before and this replacement board isn't that old.

Sounds more like jet should be sending out replacement circuit boards !

Coley

My low usage Jet is on its second board (1st one replaced by Axminster as a gesture of good will)
And has started playing up again

Guess RS will be seeing another order

andys wood shed":114gd527 said:
My low usage Jet is on its second board (1st one replaced by Axminster as a gesture of good will)
And has started playing up again

Guess RS will be seeing another order

Andy, I've ordered a set of 5 and you're welcome to one.

Even though you're a cyclist :wink:

Another happy reader here, I found this thread yesterday, ordered the capacitors from RS, they arrived today and the unit was fixed in 10 minutes.

I tested the motor as part of the diagnosis so I've attached the readings here, they will be handy if the motor is suspected.

Many thanks Jack for taking the time to post this.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I checked the faulty capacitor and instead of measuring 1uF it measured 0.35 uF

Attachments

• motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 359
Hi,
It's great to know that this fix worked for you too, thanks for letting us know.
Thanks too for the motor winding resistance values.
Regards,
Jack

Is there any reason why this has to be a 750 - 900v capacitor. Wouldn't a 305v capacitor of the same value (1uF) work too?

No, unless its rated at 305V AC, you need to half the DC rating to get the equivalent AC rating as the voltage swings between positive and negative, so effectively doubling the voltage across the capacitor, then add the fact that its the RMS voltage and you have to multiply it by 1.414 to get the peak AC voltage.

Its a hard working part it needs a good quality capacitor.

Pete

Back