Jesus Christ

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DOOGYREV

Established Member
Reaction score
Being aware of the 3 taboo subjects, (Politics, Religion & Sharpening) and not wishing to offend anybody, this is mainly woodwork related, with just some irony.
From what I remember it says Jesus Christ was a carpenter up until his 30’s, although the demand for various woodworking skills and products has changed over the years, the techniques haven’t, which got me thinking about the history of the joints, the tools, the demand at the time, etc…
Well, rather ironically I thought that Jesus being a carpenter at that time probably made a lot of crosses and a manger or two.
Is there a book or website that documents the origins of the techniques that we still use today?

Doug B":2hf8bslo said:
More importantly, was he an advocate of the rounded bevel :?:
Surely not - he'd be crucified! :roll:
Is there a book or website that documents the origins of the techniques that we still use today?
Yes there is an old book full of useful tips about all sorts of things, though often obtuse and not always reliable:
Isaiah 41:7":2hf8bslo said:
So the carpenter encouraged the goldsmith, and he that smootheth with the hammer him that smiteth the anvil, saying of the soldering, It is good: and he fastened it with nails, that it should not be moved.
Or on dust extraction:
Matthew 7:3":2hf8bslo said:
And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

Jacob":1iannk0r said:
Doug B":1iannk0r said:
More importantly, was he an advocate of the rounded bevel :?:
Surely not - he'd be crucified! :roll:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Blimey was that why he was crucified ? That sharpening debate is a lot older than i imagined & a lot more violent :shock:

Two points Doogy, the Greek writings state Jesus was a craftsman, no mention of wood work, and it was rather unlikely as his family were wealthy, and second, I don't know of a specific book but the subject is discussed quite often on archaeologocal forums.
The Pharonic Egyptians were very competant cabinet makers though. They used fish glues, jointed timber, and even veneered cheaper woods.
Then of course there was Noah! :oops:

Roy.

Jacob, interesting quotes.

Here's a painting by Millais which is in the The Tate, entitled "Christ in the House of His Parents (Christ in the Carpenter's Shop). Obviously the artist's interpretation:

op36.jpg

As usual such illustrations are based on contemporary European life.
Timber in Israel was mostly imported, thus expensive and I doubt that a workbench was available.
Even the 'Cross Complex', as opposed to the 'Cross Simplex' is dubious due to the amount of timber used.
It was reported that after one of the Jewish revolts the Romans ran out of timber for crosses.

Roy.

It has been a good few years since I was taught anything about the bible or catechism, but I seem to remember that it was his dad/step dad Joseph who was the carpenter. In fact I do not think that you will find him being called a carpenter anywhere in the bible.

Cheers

Mike

Some of the popular traditional stories that we think are in the Bible are actually in the Apocrypha - books rejected by the church as not being as true as the rest. I just had a quick look to see if there were any good carpentry stories and found that the "Infancy Gospel of Pseudo-Matthew" has this lovely story of how Jesus helped out when Joseph had accidentally cut a bit of wood too short...

CHAP. 37.–Now Joseph[2] was a carpenter, and used to make nothing else of wood but ox-yokes, and ploughs, and implements of husbandry, and wooden beds. And it came to pass that a certain young man ordered him to make for him a couch six cubits long. And Joseph commanded his servant[3] to cut the wood with an iron saw, according to the measure which he had sent. But he did not keep to the prescribed measure, but made one piece of wood shorter than the other. And Joseph was in perplexity, and began to consider what he was to do about this. And when Jesus saw him in this state of cogitation, seeing that it was a matter of impossibility to him, He addresses him with words of comfort, saying: Come, let us take hold of the ends of the pieces of wood, and let us put them together, end to end, and let us fit them exactly to each other, and draw to us, for we shall be able to make them equal. Then Joseph did what he was bid, for he knew that He could do whatever He wished. And Joseph took hold of the ends of the pieces of wood, and brought them together against the wall next himself, and Jesus took hold of the other ends of the pieces of wood, and drew the shorter piece to Him, and made it of the same length as the longer one. And He said to Joseph: Go and work, and do what thou hast promised to do. And Joseph did what he had promised.[4]

Now that's a useful miracle!

Due to the derth of timber in Israel wooden furniture etc may well have had a value far above the mere cost of materials and labour, 'fashion' would make sh-t expensive! Thus if that was Jesus's trade it would likely to have been commented on.
Outside of that possibility no culture that I am aware of ever paid a 'carpenter' much money.
The Xtian Bible was written by Jews for Jews, and just as a modern detective story would not necessarily go into details that were familiar to readers, neither does the Bible, these things are understood by both the writer and the reader.
An example... Some Xtian scholars have repudiated the idea that Jesus was married when in fact the evidence in the Bible, plus Jewish traditions and culture, would suggest otherwise. In fact a 30 yr old unmarried male Jew would likely have been mentioned as it would have been then, as now, extraordinary.
A couch of 6 cubits length would have been pricey though.
A further example of the westernisation of the Bible via Rome is in the names, Simeon, Peter, Joseph, Mary, David, none of these are Jewish names!

Jesus took hold of the other ends of the pieces of wood, and drew the shorter piece to Him, and made it of the same length

Makes you wonder why he bothered with the saw in the first place!

Roy.

Two glaring errors in that Doogy, tecton is the base for technician and more importantly Nazereth didn't exist in early AD
Again what is stated, before the early Roman Church decided to write their own expurgated editions, was that Jesus was a Nazerene. That is a member of a religious/political group.
He was crucified for political crimes, not religious.

Roy.

AndyT":21fotmiz said:
Some of the popular traditional stories that we think are in the Bible are actually in the Apocrypha - books rejected by the church as not being as true as the rest. I just had a quick look to see if there were any good carpentry stories and found that the "Infancy Gospel of Pseudo-Matthew" has this lovely story of how Jesus helped out when Joseph had accidentally cut a bit of wood too short...

CHAP. 37.–Now Joseph[2] was a carpenter, and used to make nothing else of wood but ox-yokes, and ploughs, and implements of husbandry, and wooden beds. And it came to pass that a certain young man ordered him to make for him a couch six cubits long. And Joseph commanded his servant[3] to cut the wood with an iron saw, according to the measure which he had sent. But he did not keep to the prescribed measure, but made one piece of wood shorter than the other. And Joseph was in perplexity, and began to consider what he was to do about this. And when Jesus saw him in this state of cogitation, seeing that it was a matter of impossibility to him, He addresses him with words of comfort, saying: Come, let us take hold of the ends of the pieces of wood, and let us put them together, end to end, and let us fit them exactly to each other, and draw to us, for we shall be able to make them equal. Then Joseph did what he was bid, for he knew that He could do whatever He wished. And Joseph took hold of the ends of the pieces of wood, and brought them together against the wall next himself, and Jesus took hold of the other ends of the pieces of wood, and drew the shorter piece to Him, and made it of the same length as the longer one. And He said to Joseph: Go and work, and do what thou hast promised to do. And Joseph did what he had promised.[4]

Hence the 11th commandment 'Thou shalt always measureth twice and cutteth only the one time'

Misterfish

Back