Jennings pattern brace auger bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirboo

Established Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a couple of new Clifton/Clico Jennings pattern brace auger bits to use with a Stanley No. 60 dowelling jig that I have. The sizes I have are 1/4-inch and 3/8-inch. The problem is that these bits do not fit through the 1/4-inch and 3/8-inch guide bushes on my dowelling jig. The bits are slightly oversize.

I believe the problem is with the auger bits rather than the dowelling jig. I have 1/4-inch and 3/8-inch twist bits that fit the appropriate dowelling jig bush perfectly.

Can anyone tell me whether this problem is to be expected (these are the only Jennings pattern bits I own)? Am I supposed to use the vintage Jennings pattern auger bits that where originally sold as dowelling bits with my dowelling jig?

Hi Mirboo,

I would not have thought that a brace and auger bit were suitable for use with a dowelling jig. Ordinary twist bits in a hand or electric drill is the normally recommended method - it's what I use with my Record 148 dowelling jig :wink: The only situation where I think a brace and auger bit would be suitable would be if you were drilling without a jig.

Paul

Ian, this is a classic problem 'cos of the way auger bits were always made. The ordinary variety are made slightly over-sized, claimed to be for the benefit of fitting hardware where a slightly larger hole is desirable. Could be more to do with the way they were made (by eye) and manufacturing them to an accurate size would increase the costs to little benefit for the majority of buyers.

As you guess, you want the shorter dowel bits that are made to the actual sizes stated. Like these:

normal_bracebits05.jpg

So there you are, Paul, you learn something every day. Dowelling jigs and braces are not complete strangers at all. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Who had a dowel bit or two at the bottom of her box of bits at the Big Bash, but no-one dug far enough... [-X

Alf":1icupj52 said:
So there you are, Paul, you learn something every day. Dowelling jigs and braces are not complete strangers at all. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Who had a dowel bit or two at the bottom of her box of bits at the Big Bash, but no-one dug far enough... [-X

You sure do - at least I do :D

I'll have to have a bit of a rummage through the box next year - I was obviously being too polite for my own good this time :wink:

Paul

Alf,

Thanks for this extra bit of knowledge, I have a couple of short bits and thought they were just for use in tight corners. :oops:

Alf":3uvxiab7 said:
Ah, 'tis all in the archives - as long as you remember it's there so you know to look for it... :roll: :lol:
Seem the holes in my memory are getting worse, I remember that thread now you point it out. #-o

Alf,

Thinking about this a bit more :roll: I reckon that for accuracy/ease of use, the "best" method of drilling dowel holes would be, in order of preference:

1. good dowelling jig with hand or electric drill using spur-pointed or ordinary twist drills;

2. drill stand and electric drill/drill press with spur-pointed drills (to easily line up the hole);

3. brace and dowel auger bit where it was not possible to use methods 1&2.

What do you reckon :?: :wink:

Paul

I reckon I'd use anything but dowels if at all possible! :lol: Hate the blasted things. However... Where does dowelling jig with brace and bit fit? I think it's probably right up there with #1, and beats it in a power cut. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

With a power outage in the workshop this morning, so knows of that which she speaks - bow saws look nice but they're damn hard work... :shock:

Alf":2h27sgpd said:
I reckon I'd use anything but dowels if at all possible! :lol: Hate the blasted things.

Couldn't agree more :wink: I seldom use them myself, but often drill dowel-type holes because I've had to make lots of stuff using knock-down fittings of the cross-dowel/threaded rod type. So I still make lots of use of my dowelling jig :wink:

Paul

PS Hope the power is soon back on :wink:

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Similar to Paul, in the past I've tended to use a hand power drill when using dowelling jigs. I was however inspired to have a go at it with a brace and bit after seeing a picture of it being done that way on page 155 of Garrett Hack's book "Classic Hand Tools". I figured dowelling jigs had been around a lot longer than electric hand drills and wanted to give it a go. Unfortunately it looks like I'll have to keep an eye out for some of the shorter dowel auger bits that Alf posted a picture of. I wanted to use dowels as kind of locating pins for a panel I want to glue up for a table.

Just like you Alf, I have suffered from a power outage today also. Power was off for about 6 hours at my place, its only just come back on. I was OK from a tool point a view; most of my tools are handtools, even down to my cordless driver/drills (also known as bit braces), but lighting was a bit of an issue.

It was a funny old day here in Sydney today. Its only early spring but the temperature hit 33 degrees C today (a bit unusul for this time of year) and we had fairly high winds. I heard on my battery powered radio that there were blackouts across several Sydney suburbs due to trees being blown down onto power lines etc. The bushfire season kicked into gear today also, as a result of the high temperatures and high winds. There a few fires burning at places just north of Sydney. Looks like its shaping up to be a long hot summer.

I was wondering if I might piggyback a question onto this thread.

A few weeks back while visiting a local antique store I encountered an Auger bit that was not in the thread mentioned above. It was pointy at the business end nand conical in shape with ridges that swirled away from the point to the base the ridges themselves were at roughly a 60 degree angle. I assumed it would be used for reaming a tapered hole, a rather specialized usemethinks.

At any rate as I pondered this newly aquired bit, I went into the antique store across the road and guess what, I saw another one only in better condition and inside a very nice looking ratcheting brace as well. I of course aquired that one to, as it was only $15. Canadian, for both the brace and bit, or roughly seven pounds something.

My question is, and I guess without a picture it might be hard to answer, however I was wondering how would you sharpen it, I already have a use for it, anyway what do you think?

Sounds very like the wotsit someone brought along to the Big Bash the other week - sorry, I forget who it was. :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Back