Jaws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RP essentially copied the Nova (teknatool) chucking system in order to increase their profit margins and gain distribution in territories where Teknatool had other distributors.

Consequently, I'm almost certain the Nova series jaw slides will be compatible with their new SC range. If you click on the drop down arrow on that Axy web page, you'll see for the same price they have a Nova option. Now that would allow Nova jaws to be used on the Axy chuck so it's unlikely to work on an SC4, but it's worth checking with Axy. Personally, I would call RP because they must sell the jaw slides separately.

The reference to Nova, OneWay and Vicmarc on the Axy site mean the jaws from those manufacturers will fit the corresponding mounting jaws.

The mounting jaws will only fit the scroll they are designed for. As ROB says Record copied the Nova design, as did Sorby, so there is a possibility the scrolls in the chucks are the same although the Nova locks to the left and I believe the Record and Sorby chucks lock to the right so the order of the mounting jaws would be different.

The other thing to bear in mind is that the Axy chucks and the Versa Chuck are the only ones I'm aware of where the mounting jaws can be removed from the chuck body easily as there is no "safety" pin preventing this. All other chucks have this "safety" feature preventing the removal of the mounting jaws.

I can't see how the Nova jaws would fit as the scroll runs the opposite way to the SC4 but I'll pass the information on.

you know the more I think about this the more I seem to recall having pretty much the same conversation with the MD of RP at the DM toolshow last Autumn. I'm almost certain that despite the counter direction of the scrolls, the RP jaw slides are compatible with the Nova chucks and vice versa because RP wanted their existing base to be able to exploit their existing investment in jaws by buying onto the SC chuck range. The only thing I recall was that there might have needed to be a longer countersunk screw to fix them.

But my memory is not great so I might be talking utter rubbish. A quick call to RP would clear it up. If I'm right then it also means that the Axy jaw slides with the Nova spec would carry the RP SC range of jaws as well as the Nova ones.

Confusion between Jaw Carriers and Accessory Jaw Location standards by any chance in this thread ?

I know I dislike using the Nova chuck with a passion, nothing to do with its ability to do the job but the direction of Key Turning and the ease with which the safety hex key falls out of the chuck both drive me nuts.

I know the latter is the ultimate safety feature but I'm so ingrained over the years to not leave a key in the chuck before switching on with any rotating machine that the added need for a third hand at times just annoys.

Food for thought Bob. I'll ask John Davis next time I'm in there as he sells both chuck ranges.

Mark Hancock":3v01cliq said:
The other thing to bear in mind is that the Axy chucks and the Versa Chuck are the only ones I'm aware of where the mounting jaws can be removed from the chuck body easily as there is no "safety" pin preventing this. All other chucks have this "safety" feature preventing the removal of the mounting jaws.

My 4 Nova chucks all have a safety screw to stop you removing the jaw slides from the body but it's very easy to remove it. I don't even know where the safety screws are for my chucks since they were removed years ago.

Aside from that, I've never been convinced that it's much advantage to have jaw slides for each set of jaws. From watching attempts to swap them over at the club I don't see them as much quicker (often much slower). All you need to do to fit new jaws is undo 8 screws, swap the jaws and replace the screws.

Better to save the money for more jaws or an extra chuck.

Mark Hancock":w723i5wz said:
The mounting jaws will only fit the scroll they are designed for. As ROB says Record copied the Nova design, as did Sorby, so there is a possibility the scrolls in the chucks are the same although the Nova locks to the left and I believe the Record and Sorby chucks lock to the right so the order of the mounting jaws would be different.
Just to clarify.

If in fact the scrolls are the same and rotate in the same direction to tighten, then the carriers would mount in the same order.

If the scrolls rotate in different directions to tighten, then one is a 'left hand thread' and the other a 'right hand thread' and the carriers would not be interchangeable.

It is possible that the chuck keys might turn in opposite directions to tighten but the scrolls go the same way.

The point I am trying to make is that it is not direction of the chuck key tightening but the clockwise or anticlockwise rotation of the scroll.

Bill

Random Orbital Bob":2idrqvtj said:
Shouldn't you be turning a big pen instead of making intelligent contributions to this thread young man!!!!
Sorry for this OT reply. It might get deleted by a mod :lol:
For those following this thread.

Rob gave me a lift to Axi yesterday and had previously sucked me into having to make a pen. This after 10 years or rubbishing pen making.

The net result is my credit card took a bashing on bushings, blanks and three more kits.

I am still weak in recovering from the spend and can only type.

Bill

If I remember correctly, Nova claim the scrolls in their chucks are self tightening as they rotate in the opposite direction to a conventional chuck. Theory may confirm this but engineering chucks with "conventional" rotation have been in use for many years and don't seem to have suffered any loosening effects as far as I am aware. Not in the sizes that we use anyway. I'm still in two minds about whether the Nova jaws will fit the Record scroll but a trip to JD will no doubt confirm it. It's always a win, win going over to JD as the Pizza's in Stockbridge are fantastic!

YewTube":3rs2h4ar said:
Random Orbital Bob":3rs2h4ar said:
Shouldn't you be turning a big pen instead of making intelligent contributions to this thread young man!!!!
Sorry for this OT reply. It might get deleted by a mod :lol:
For those following this thread.

Rob gave me a lift to Axi yesterday and had previously sucked me into having to make a pen. This after 10 years or rubbishing pen making.

The net result is my credit card took a bashing on bushings, blanks and three more kits.

I am still weak in recovering from the spend and can only type.

Bill

I buy you a lovely pen and this is the gratitude I get.....sheesh.....bloody Northerners :)

Back