jaws for footprint ratchet brace

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karlpolly10

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, i have just bought a footprint brace on ebay, but when it arrived there were no jaws with it, i have been back on to the seller and he says it was ok when he posted it. my question is can i get any jaws from anywhere as the brace is a nice little tool and didn`t cost the earth, i will keep on at the seller to sort it out but its not worth the cost and effort to return it so if possible i will try to replace the jaws and keep it. can anyone help!. regards Karl.

I think the answer is " maybe". As shown in discussions on here, there are many different designs of brace and the jaws inside the chuck.

The commonest arrangement is for a pair of "crocodile" jaws to hinge together in a large slot, visible when you undo the outer shell. I suggest you post some photos and measurements and see if anyone has a spare set they don't want.

Alternatively you need another brace as a donor.

001.JPG
hi here is the photo the slots measure 25 mm x 11mm. regards Karl

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,143
karlpolly10":1ps6i1r0 said:
Hi all, i have just bought a footprint brace on ebay, but when it arrived there were no jaws with it, i have been back on to the seller and he says it was ok when he posted it.

That sounds .. remarkable.

BugBear

I'd send it back and ask for a refund. Contact ebay if the seller messes you about (you'll win the dispute ). If the original listing includes the jaws then they should be there. Used braces are so common and cheap I wouldn't entertain putting up with that seller ripping you off or having to find jaws.

I have asked for a refund, waiting to hear back, in the meantime do you think I should go for a new brace or take a chance on buying a used one again.

karlpolly10":1acnvilb said:
I have asked for a refund, waiting to hear back, in the meantime do you think I should go for a new brace or take a chance on buying a used one again.

IMHO no good braces are currently being made.

BugBear

If you don't mind cleaning one up, I have a few from car boots that are waiting to be cleaned up and sold on ebay. Quite happy to send one for the shipping costs, let me know if you're interested. It wouldn't be a named make though, and obviously I'd check everything was working properly and send you a photo first. I'm not at home until this weekend though, so wouldn't be able to have a rummage until then.

Cheerio,

Carl

Latest posts

Back