japanese saw at lidl

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tombo

Established Member
Reaction score
i have wanted a jap saw for ages, no real use for one mind but at £6.99 what have i got to lose? There were loads in the shop on friday when i got this one. Sorry about the photo i should have put a ruler in the shot, its about 24 inches long.

Tom

jap-saw.jpg

But even better than that...

I've just been and bought two (after seeing about them on here) and was charged for garden saws - £2.99 each :shock: :lol:

Andrew

:D I have good value and a clean cut my much better half got gardening bits so it kept her happy to :D :D

martyn

Hmmmm
wonder if my local Lidl has any left that is if they had any in the first place. Cant check till monday. :cry:

Are they actually Japanese saws? The reason I ask is that I bought one on holiday in Iceland a couple of years ago. There is just one tool shop in Iceland and it has quite a decent selection of stuff really, for a country with a population the size of Nottingham and no trees.
(Icelandic Joke -
Q - What do you do if you get lost in the forest in Iceland?
A - Stand up.)

Everything in Iceland is imported. Cars, shoes, clothes, grain - everything. They are self sufficient in some foods (acres of greenhouses), but mostly it's imported. Everything is expensive. Beer, £6. Ordinary Washing Machine, £1000. Salaries, comparable to UK.

So there is me in Tool Heaven, and I see this Jap saw. Expensive but not hideously so, except that it is Swedish and not actually Japanese. Well Swedish steel is good, isn't it, so I bought.

Well, I also have several real Jap saws, and this one isn't even in the same league. It looks the same, but it sure doesn't cut the same. I simply don't use it.

If it is a bargain, go ahead and stock up, but if it is poor, I fear that you will be put off using Jap saws, and that wold be a shame. If the Swedish one had been my first encounter, I wouldn't bother any more.

I hope you get a good deal.

Cheers
Steve

Just wondering, what you would use one of these for?

I did buy one, thinking it would be good for trimming plugs etc "As Seen On TV" But it's huge compared to what I was expecting. The handle is so long that you could easily hold it two handed wiht plentry of room to spare.

May well return it, but just wondering if It has a use that I haven't considered.

Having said that, it does look the business :)

Richard in Smithville":14u34gkx said:
I just bought this saw in January but it's been too cold in the shop to really try it out( the nights are -15 to -20). I did try a few quick cuts and L.V. was right-it cuts like the wind. I hope to be using it for dove tails soon though.

Dozuki

Isn't it a little bendy for Dovetails? I've never actually cut any, but i've seen the Rob Cosman DVDs, And I seem to remember him using a saw with the brass strip along the top to stop it bending and help get very straight cuts.

j":13zaf50v said:
Isn't it a little bendy for Dovetails? I've never actually cut any, but i've seen the Rob Cosman DVDs, And I seem to remember him using a saw with the brass strip along the top to stop it bending and help get very straight cuts.
The blade is able to be kept thin because the saw cuts on the pull stroke. Tenon saws ("back saws" I think they're called in the US) have a reinforcing strip but they cut conventionally (on the forward stroke). If you were to try to cut on the forward stroke with a pull saw, you would soon run into difficulty, but pulling in a straight line is easy, so you get the advantage of a very thin kerf and with a high number of teeth per inch, a fine cut.

Straight cuts are down to the operator - same with any saw I'd have thought. You can't put anything like the forces you could use on a convemtional saw into a pull saw, but it's not necessary anyway. For me, the difficulty with pull saws is sighting the blade vertically at the start, as they're so thin! Wouldn't be without mine, though. I've had one since I saw one on a US show several years ago - the guy who roamed around in a big Winnebago, fixing a variety of common DIY problems. Can't remember his name, don't see the show nowadays - went the same route as Robin Hartl and the log cabins I suppose.

Ray.

OK, thanks, that makes perfect sense.

Now i've got one less excuse to try a dovetail :)

I still don't get why the handle is so long on this one though.

Thanks
J

I have a ryoba and a dozuki from Axminster and I like them both. The one problem I have is using them when the stock is held horizontally, the sawdust from the kerf comes up and obscures the line. A minor irritation I know.

Also with the double sided saw do not get you nose to close DAMHIKT

Andy

dedee":38djpgdx said:
Also with the double sided saw do not get you nose to close DAMHIKT
Andy

Ouch!

I have tenon, crosscut and dovetail saws, bought from Axminster and I think they are great. I've used the tenon and crosscut saws for cutting everything from hardwoods (oak and beech) to 18 mm plywood and I'm amazed at how good the cut surfaces are. It's certainly a different technique cutting on the pull stroke, but I got used to it very quickly and the Japanese saws are the ones I reach for first for most jobs.

cheers

George

Ive got a set of 5 that look the same but cost £125.00 i use them for tennon shoulders and scribing joints and they are very good . A new blade for mine costs a hell of a lot more than the price you posted but if its the same saw im buying the shop out of them .

If you all like them saw :)
Tilgear are also doing a deal on they saws too ( they are Japanese ) :)
will post a pic if any one want? ( I have the offers cataloge )
Sorry for the small hijack :wink:

I tried Lidl in Chelmsford they never heard of them, their head office was no use either if anyone finds them could they let us all know please or at least buy a couple extra and I will pay you for them.

davidc1075":33tvwxej said:
I tried Lidl in Chelmsford they never heard of them, their head office was no use either if anyone finds them could they let us all know please or at least buy a couple extra and I will pay you for them.
PM me if you still cant get any :)

Back