Japanese pull saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coach-carpenter

Established Member
Reaction score
In the market for a new pull saw. Who uses what? What do you think and would you recommend as a purchase?

I did have one but its gone and ihave no idea what make it was as its about 6 years ool

Coachy

Think folks need to know your intended use, there are so many forms styles etc.

CHJ":3qvqhgmq said:
Think folks need to know your intended use, there are so many forms styles etc.

Last one was mainly used for dovetailing, box joints, tenons. I want a flexible head so I may buy two. I would like to be able to flush cutting dowels and trim pieces. Don't really need to do any rip cuts. just finer work. Beading etc.

Cheers.

Asian-style saws do tend to cut quickly for the quality of surface they leave behind, but unless that coupled with a pull action is vital to you they're hardly a must-have.

I think for general duty fine cuts it's hard to beat a fine-toothed Western backsaw for affordability and quality of cut.

I have a mini dozuki for fine cuts (good for dovetails), a ryoba for flush trim / cross cuts and a kataba for general use. I find them much more precise than Western saws

I bought 5 Kataba/Ice bear blades (blades only), 4 are cross cut, one rip. I superglue them on to a home made broom style handle, which kind of makes them pretty cheap. Handles are very easy to make. When the blade is dull you can heat the saw plate and remove it from the handle, so the handle can be reused.
Someone recently linked to an Ebay site for Japanese replacement blades, which were pretty cheap, quite a bit cheaper than the blades that I bought. They may have been made by the exact same maker.

Back