Japanese Chisels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrenr

Established Member
Reaction score
Picking up on a separate string about Japanese chisels.

I am lucky enough to visit Japan occasionally. Earlier this year I went skiing (my major passion) in a very small town in northern Hokkaido. While there I bought some Japanese tools in the only tool outlet, a local equivalent of B&Q.

My purchases included a Z-saw 240, two Vessel micro screwdrivers and two well made 100mm clamps unnamed. Other purchases included a 210*73*22mm 6000 grit King waterstone plus a flattening stone. Generally prices were 50-60% of UK prices where a direct comparison was possible, although a few items were similarly priced.

A very limited selection of chisels were on sale. They were priced at between US$13 -US$35 for 6mm-42mm long blade firmer chisels. I could not identify the maker and the web-site address offered no clues in English. I would add photos but cannot see how this is done on the system.

I also bought some cheap semi-professional double bevel kitchen knives which are excellent.

Has anyone had experience of buying chisels or plane blades in Japan? I suspect that you have to go one of the main cities.

Knife street next to Tokyo's fish market is a world mecca for top chef's around the world. This is where a very good friend buys chef knives for his daughter who is a top international chef. At the same location he has his own knives sharpened by the "master sharpener" (45 minutes per knife; only in Japan!). He does this while on business so a Tokyo source for chisels would be best as he visits quite often.

Richard

Sounds really interesting Richard, It would of been nice if you had seen some of the top end chisels being made

I'm still fondling mine...I find it hugely tactile....the edge is totally different to that of an old Sheffield...I can't say better because it's just different sharp...does anyone else feel this?

I find I can sit and simply whittle with it. I have a scrap bit of oak that I am paring shapes into with gentle strokes and it cuts beautifully...I feel I am in total control with it.

I too am fascinated by the production of these masterpieces...you are luck indeed in being able to visit and should you do so again and seek out a blacksmith...please please please take some pictures.

I am still on this journey...but it has me hooked.

Jim

I have a small set of Matsumura Blue Steel chisels I bought in the States a few years ago. Here's some blurb on them:

" Matsumura chisels are among the finest quality Japanese hand forged chisels made today.
Master blacksmith Shigezo Matsumura is the last in a highly respected family of blacksmiths whose work has spanned over 200 years. He began learning from his father over 50 years ago and personally fashions each chisel.
Matsumura chisels received top rankings in comparison tests by Fine Woodworking Magazine in issue No. 139. "

Rod

big soft moose":c8obv4mv said:
jimi43":c8obv4mv said:
I'm still fondling mine...I find it hugely tactile

you want to be careful you dont go blind doing things like that...

I think I am more likely to stab myself!!

Actually...with the idle finger technique being half on the bevel, half on the stock...it really is such a nice controlled cut.

As long as you keep thinking "don't put anything in front of the trajectory of the edge that you want to keep", then I think that all should be ok!

I ended up with a lump of wood that is turning into an Aztec statue!!!

DSC_0007.JPG

The edge gently shaves to a very contolled point and then the cross grain slicing is just that "crunch" as it should be...what a wonderful sound!

I think it is about time I tried it out on a few handmade dovetails...soon.

:wink:

Jim

Latest posts

Back