Jap Waterstones

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pvt_Ryan

Established Member
Reaction score
I decided to get this (1000/6000):
http://www.axminster.co.uk/ice-bear-jap ... prod22468/

I also got an 8000 grit nagura stone, to clean the 6000 side with.

It has just arrived now I notice the 2 stones are joint by a piece of plastic..

Can I seperate them without damaging the stones, as I'd like to place them each in their own holder so I don't have to keep flipping the stone and thereby reduce the chance comtainating either side from the other.

Also any tips for storage / usage are welcome, I've never had a sharpening stone before.

I would say no don't try it as the stones are very delicate

if you are not happy with the flip over stones ring axi and ask to send it back before use

best to get 2 separate stones :wink:

Hi

I bought my Nagura stone in Japan on a visit and it exactly the same as the Axminster version and the construction will be for a reason so I would agree do not separate

Richard
Bangkok

Call me mad but maybe you could dip it in acetone or something to eat the plastic away? More trouble than it is worth probably!

Thomas Hayman":21zr2gtz said:
Call me mad but maybe you could dip it in acetone or something to eat the plastic away? More trouble than it is worth probably!

The question becomes is the plastic itself "the glue", or is the plastic a separator between the stones, all held by glue?

If you did somehow get them apart the resulting stones would be very thin and fragile, and would be best mounted on a support for reinforcement.

BugBear

Back