I've just won 9K!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't think I'll ever collect.

I've just been to a St Patrick's day exhibition preview, organized by some Irish friends of mine. There was some musical entertainment. The best was a niece of said Irish friends, who sang beautifully (even to my non-classical ears) to the accompaniment of a 13-yr-old harpist. Really Excellent.

Of course, my interest was in the harp itself (Italian rather than Irish), and I was seriously impressed by the standard of the workmanship that went into making it.

The soundboard was a straight-grained softwood (my guess is Spruce), the frame was brown, "walnut finish" according to the harpist. Whatever it was underneath, the woodwork was impressive.

So there was I, glass in hand, yakking with the elderly but otherwise excellent second performer, singing something trad and Irish and doing it well.

To cut a long story shot, I was expressing my interest in how they had made part of the frame out of plywood. Said elderly gentleman (I use the tern loosely) bet me the cost of the harp that it was not made out of plywood.

Now it is true that I am not Irish, know little of Irish culture or Irish music, or indeed, beyond 'O'-level music, little at all about music, so when he described me as a "typical Englishman who knows %^&*all about Ireland or its music or culture", he was close to the mark.

However, I do know a little bit about woodwork.

So, after the father of harpist confirmed that it was indeed made of plywood, and Albert who is a painter and decorator and knows nothing about music or woodwork, but who can still recognize plywood when he sees it, confirmed said construction method, the aforementioned"gentleman" walked out.

So how do I get my 9K (actually, her parents reckoned it was rather more than that)?

I know I've won on points, but I could really do with the dosh!

S

Mike Garnham":1kzuby3v said:
You're going to have to make your own harp, Steve, and sell it!

That's actually where I thought the story was going...! :roll: :D

You think your going to get money out of an Irishman??? :lol:

(whos just married an Irish girl)

It's a$$holes like that who shoot their mouth off and then walk away from a bet that gets the rest of us boys a bad name.

Steve Maskery":20jhd7ny said:
he described me as a "typical Englishman who knows %^&*all about Ireland or its music or culture"

Hypocrite and arrogant too, eh? You're labelled "typical Englishmen", thus suggesting he has a wide ranging knowledge of the English.

For £9k you get a properly made harp. I got the one below from Pilgrim Harps and it is of exceptional quality and craftsmanship. In general, the best materials for harps are maple, ash and mahogany all with spruce soundboards.

Andy

dscf4171sm3.jpg

Get his address and I'll arrange for a couple of 'friends' to pay him a visit Steve!

Roy.

Back