Its only a picture frame...but.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
Have had to do several picture frames recently, this is one in Zebrano, a little lump of which I had skulking in the 'shop, enough for this frame anyway. SWMBO wanted some moulding on it so I did - didn't turn out quite as I wanted but looks reasonable. This is the first thing I've had a go at in Zebrano and it will definitely be the last - I don't think I've ever used such a horrible timber - it tears and splits when its being planed and if you inadvertently plane it the wrong way.... :twisted: :twisted: This had to be scraped and sanded before and acceptable sort of surface could be achieved.

stuff001.jpg

stuff002.jpg

I used the detail sanding pens from Axminster to clean up the mouldings - must say I've been quite impressed with them. Finish on them will be French Polish and wax, this frame has had a coat of linseed oil before polishing to bring out the colour of the grain (leave to dry tho' for a good 48hrs before polishing) - Rob

Waka - mitres were cut on a mitre shooting board with my trusty T5 jack. Corners were reinforced with wenge inserts, slots were cut on a jig on the table saw (there is a previous post of mine on the forum with some pics of the jig) - Rob

Bean":15m7xbms said:
Nice one Rob, I have often wondered what zebrano was like to work

Another amusing aspect of Zebrano is the fact that the light bits are softer than the dark bits. This means that when you try to sand it flat, you find that the light coloured bits dip down below the dark bits. Robs stuff is better than a lot of it that I've seen, inasmuch as the lighter bits are not so light and therefore will be harder

Johnw

Looks nice,Rob.

Thanks for the comments on the workability of zebrano - bought some at the weekend to go on the lathe...hope it's better to work with when it's spinning :lol:

Andrew

Ahh-pics are back, now. Very nice!
Although Zebrano can be a pain to machine when you get it right the timber really looks great!
Cheers
Philly :D

Latest posts

Back