It's official - Manchester is now in the USA

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Ordered a new Paslode off eBay. Slight delay in arrival as in 'not got it yet'.

Maybe this has something to do with it. Can anyone spot the difference?

paslode1.jpg

paslode-2.jpg

Going to get interesting if I'm going to get stuck with import duty/VAT/clearance fees

Done a little research on ebay starting with your buying ID...

( You have been spending :) :) )

Anyway - the guy you bought off has interesting information in his feedback. He isn't a very sophisticated trader and so is using the same ID to both buy and sell. Clever people use two ids - which is within the rules. Anyway he has sold several Paslode guns this month. But what's interesting is that he also bought some this month.

He buys them refurbished from eBay ID paslode_outlet in the USA. They say they do not ship internationally - so either he has a special deal with them - or he has a Mate/Assistant in the USA who re-ships them direct to you. He pays rather less than you did although he will have some shipping to cope with.

Either of these fit with your USA based shipment number.

thought 1: were you expecting it to be refurbished? His sale list it as "like new" whereas the USA seller says factory refurb. Depends how you feel about it.

thought 2a: pull his full contact details from eBay (and/or paypal). He will get sent yours in return - but he must have those already to ship to you.
See if these all match and match the details in the winning bidder and/or invoice emails.

thought 2b: Also look up the details on the web using various address & electoral role search sites.

If they do not match you may be able to report him for false contact details. This would be one way out of the purchase - if thats what you wanted.

If you are unhappy before the parcel arrives do not accept or sign for it as you would then become liable under ebay/paypal rules to pay for it OR to return it - possibly to the USA address. :cry:

Unless they have been creative with the paperwork I would expect DHL to collect the VAT (and any duty) and charge you to do it. Unless he has prepaid it ?!?! Unlikely - but it would explain the price differential. DHL love collecting the VAT. I paid some many years ago on some software where the VAT was only about £8 but DHL charged £10 extra to collect it!. It may be more now. If he has not prepaid it they may invoice you for the extra charges BEFORE attempting delivery.

Good Luck with the purchase. He may be covering the charges and it does say "like new" rather than "new". Do some research now.

It may be worth asking one of his other recent paslode buyers what happened on their purchase via ebay messaging. You can find them in your seller's feedback - or PM me if you need help with that. They left their feedback after 10 and 14 days so it does look like the stuff arrives.

Kevin

Wow...what brilliant advice and suggestions. Much appreciated. I'd already thought about the 'refuse to accept' option if I had to pay duty which would leave me with the hassle of trying to get a refund and then having to buy a nailgun elsewhere at, admittedly, a much higher price. Even secondhand guns seem to fetch a premium.

I did receive a reply from the seller saying that all duties had been paid so we shall see on that one.

Which leaves your other excellent point ...is it refurbished? And it's an emotive response initially since I was, perhaps naively, expecting a new gun rather than a grotty bashed about second hand one. OK - no nails or gas cylinder in the deal but that's not a big deal. A more reasoned response, after the initial disappointment, is maybe it will be OK.

I've contacted a couple of other buyes as you suggested....never thought of doing that before.

Hi Kevin,

You obviously know your stuff on ebay, but one question, I thought in the ebay rules it was illegal to have two accounts? Not saying your wrong, I just thought that was the case.

Cheers

Mike

Mike.C":1ij51v18 said:
Hi Kevin,

...one question, I thought in the ebay rules it was illegal to have two accounts? Not saying your wrong, I just thought that was the case.

Mike
On http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/tp/program ... tions.html says:
Note: While multiple User IDs are allowed, it is never permissible for those User IDs to interact with one another. For example, members cannot bid on their own listings or leave comments on their own Feedback Profile.
And http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/newtoebay/ ... tered.html
If you want two different eBay accounts

Many members find that they need two accounts either as a way to organise a large number of items they are selling, or for selling two different types of items. You may register two different eBay accounts as long as you make sure that:

* Both accounts have different User IDs and different email addresses.
* The two accounts are never used in the same listing, nor is each used with the other's member profiles.
Heavy users of ebay often use one account to sell and the other to buy. Or use on for personal and the other for trading. The main rule is that you are not supposed to use one ID to boost the auction price the other is selling at. That's shill bidding. There is however considerable evidence that eBay turn a blind eye to powersellers shilling or breaking most of the rules.

Just glad to help. It will be interesting to see if Rogers' parcel is duty paid and where is was sent from.

Roger Sinden said:
Kevin

Wow...what brilliant advice and suggestions. Much appreciated. I'd already thought about the 'refuse to accept' option if I had to pay duty

Be careful re DHL & duty I had an invoice through from them nearly 6 weeks AFTER the parcel had arrived for duty & VAT, although there was no costing shown on the package.

Keith - that's a bit scary. Wonder what happens if you don't pay?

I'm feeling fairly comfortable at the moment as I have two emails from the seller stating that (1) duty has been paid and (2) it is a new Paslode..so, apart from any hassle should (1) or (2) prove to be untrue, I should be OK. Famous last words.... :?

duty has been paid

If you have the tracking number (if not ask the seller for it) I suggest you try and call DHL and ask them for the status of the VAT/Duty (ie is it paid or not).

They should be able to tell you BEFORE the delivery. You don't wan't any surprises in a few weeks :shock:

ecp":2w121vbl said:
duty has been paid

If you have the tracking number (if not ask the seller for it) I suggest you try and call DHL and ask them for the status of the VAT/Duty (ie is it paid or not).

They should be able to tell you BEFORE the delivery. You don't wan't any surprises in a few weeks :shock:

I did but they told me that they didn't have this information.

Roger Sinden":370m7pxm said:
Delighted to report that the Paslode arrived today. As far as I can see it's brand new and, best of all, no duty to pay.

I hate to say it, but DHL do not charge VAT/duty at the door. They tend to send you a bill for it later, up to 6 weeks later in my three experiences.

DHLinvoice.JPG

:cry:

This is a genuinely confusing area; some companies sell standard new goods as 'factory refurbished' as a way of moving extra product without upsetting the usual distribution channels, so you may get 'genuine brand new'. Free 30 day trials are common in the US, and manufacturers sell on returns under these as 'factory referbs' too. I got 2 DW 621 routers this way via my American sis in law, both are engraved as refurbs by DW, and both looked brand new. Shops also have 'manager's special' etc.

You'd expect "new" to mean just that, unused, brand new, so if too cheap look hard for signs of cosmetic damage, "new" should mean undamaged unless it says so.

"As/like new" implies minor use (ie not actually new!), insufficient to cause any cosmetic damage (let alone wear)

If buying make sure you've got printed copies of the relevant webpages to argue with later, or copy back to the carrier and Customs and Excise. Past experience with C&E if you do get diddled over VAT/duties says if you have the hard evidence and keep complaining up their ladder, you'll get your money back as a 'goodwill gesture' (never to correct an error!)

ivan":1kyygqoz said:
. Past experience with C&E if you do get diddled over VAT/duties says if you have the hard evidence and keep complaining up their ladder, you'll get your money back as a 'goodwill gesture' (never to correct an error!)

My PAST experience of C&E is also good. When I was VAT registered I never had any problems with them and they were always there to give help and advice in a professional and courteous manner.

However, C&E are now part of the Inland Revenue, and none of the above positive comments apply to my past experience with them. I hope the people with whom I have dealt with in the past 14 years or so are not representative, as every single one of them has been a complete silly person. In the first ten years we were married, there was not a single year when the IR got our tax position right first time. Sometimes they messed up on SWMBOs and sometime mine and a couple of years both of us. We both used accountants too.
If you make a mistake (i.e. don't admit enough) they charge you for the extra (fair enough, I say), but if they make a mistake (i.e. charge you too little and find out afterwards)they claim it back with interest. And if you argue they simply put you on hold for 2.5 years, locking your account so no repayments are eber made to you, rack up the interest and wait for you to notice, complain, and admit defeat.

It says something that when I was a student a few years back, several of the students had part-time jobs and it was the least able student in our cohort that was selected by the Inland Revenue.

Now if only the C&E had taken over the IR, things might be different.

I've deliberately kept this non-political as all this has happened over administrations of opposing parties.

Didn't mean to rant, honest.
S

Back