It's a Sweetheart!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
:) I've just read something about sweetheart planes and irons, so I thought I'd better have a look at mine - I'd never paid much attention before. I picked out the ones that weren't record or marples, and cleaned them off a little - all nice rosewood handles - and started with corrugated no.4, no mark on the plane - iron made in england. Next a 5 1/2, no mark on the plane, iron record. Then a no.6, corrugated - no mark on the plane iron marked stanley u.s.a. ..........and SW inside a heart! Last a no.8 -plane marked made in u.s.a. and iron marked stanley u.s.a. ..........and SW inside a heart!
Anyway, enough boasting. Just two questions - can someone tell me the approximate age of the irons? and off track a little, are marples planes well rated? I understand they were more expensive than record or stanley.
Phil.

Sweetheart was used by Stanley between 1919 and 1932, but there were several variations of planes within that period. This site has examples of the various types which will give a more accurate date. Scroll down to type 12 for the first of the SW planes

https://home.comcast.net/~stanleyplanes ... typing.htm

The Stanley planes of this age are generally regarded as among the best made; I've two no4s and an earlier Rule & Level no8 which I turn to more than my Lie Neilsens.

A good find.

El.

Back