Isn't this a bit dodgy?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/register.asp?wci=form

I see that on the registration page they request the mothers maidenname, doesn't practically every financial situation request this detail at security checks?
And here they are requesting information that I assume would be easy to obtain by any computer hacker. This kind of thing gets massive publicity when its a government leak.

devonwoody":2vn64biu said:
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/register.asp?wci=form

I see that on the registration page they request the mothers maidenname, doesn't practically every financial situation request this detail at security checks?
And here they are requesting information that I assume would be easy to obtain by any computer hacker. This kind of thing gets massive publicity when its a government leak.

John

Do what I do...I have my two birthdates that I use on the internet, two mothers maiden names, two names of first school etc. For those sites where accurate information is essential (like bank online account, dvla etc) then I use the official version. Otherwise I stick to the made-up one.

Mind you, for this particular site then fictitious mothers maiden name might link me back, like Boris Johnson, to George II. So I'd probably give the site a miss.

John

I can't quite see the connection between genesreunited (a website) and youtube (another website). Neither is an ISP and so the login details for both should be independent.

I suspect that you were giving youtube as an example to my reply. If so then the only reason why youtube will only accept 'real' details is because you've already given them to them. So delete that account and create another one with internet details.

:( I've got a problem here - I was always told that I was found under a gooseberry bush!!!! :lol:

Seriously though, I can't see why a web site needs to know my mother's name. OK for bank etc security, but the thought of Genes reunited or utube holding my personal details fills me with trepidation.

JackL":3irqg4th said:
:( I've got a problem here - I was always told that I was found under a gooseberry bush!!!! :lol:

Seriously though, I can't see why a web site needs to know my mother's name. OK for bank etc security, but the thought of Genes reunited or utube holding my personal details fills me with trepidation.

Genes reunited uses it to trace your family tree, or more precisely to open you up to more spam from needy non relatives looking for someone to sponge off.

I wonder if people are misunderstanding the point of this practice?

The bank (and other institutions) don't check that you have given your mother's real maiden name. They only ask the question so that you can identify yourself to them if needed.
It's a popular question because it should be easy to remember and you can tell them it's Moonrocket if you want, so long as you give them the same answer every time.

Genes Reunited is slightly different as they need this information to try and link you with other members of the family. Otherwise it's like asking someone to find your car in a car park without telling them the colour, make or registration number!

I never use my mother's real maiden name and try to use obscure dates and places (I always wanted to put 'favourite holiday destination' as Alpha Centauri).
No-one checks these details; like Roger, it's only for official (government and financial places) that I use my real birth date etc, but even on those I use an 'alternative' maiden name.

Latest posts

Back