Is this normal?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi James,
I've been wondering about the saw for the last few days and think that the plate would be too thin for the dimensions I wanted. I've also been going through the cupboards at work ad found an eight inch folded back from a long dead saw. If it is still possible to get some steel from you I would like to get 8" by 3" to make a tiny dovetail saw.
How is your project going? How do you intend to do the spline? We use a sheet metal company at work some times and I was thinking ( for future projects) of getting them to fold me a steel back, I don't know if they could fold the brass as from my reading it needs to be annealed every time you mess with it. I have also been looking at some homemade slitting saw options on the net that do not look too hard to put together, expensive stuff to play with that brass, I'm sure that hand feeding would be an aquired skill.
Paddy

Hi Paddy, I hit a blockage with the brass back but think I'm starting to get somewhere. After breaking brass angle I found out that extrusions rupture on folding unless you can anneal it, something I'm not set up to do (I don't have a workshop). I couldn't get local fabricators interested in such a small job, so started losing hope.

I then got in touch with a blacksmith who put me in touch with an old mechanic who does little projects out of his garage - he's really interested in the challenge and is willing to set up his vice and forms to fold sheet brass for me which I bought today. I have managed to cut the plate quite smoothly and file new 13ppi teeth into the steel to make a carcase saw. I will be doing a new post on the saw as soon as I have something to show!

No problem about the steel, I'll work out the price and cut it over the weekend (will send you a PM).

Latest posts

Back