Is this a daft idea?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Evie, the Tom Law video is available from Lie-Nielsen in their video/DVD section.

Amazon UK has some Kingshott video selections.

But you already have the necessary ingredient for successful woodworking--enjoyment. Everything else serves to enhance this.

Mike

Alf":18o19wq9 said:
MikeW":18o19wq9 said:
Amazon UK has some Kingshott video selections.
Where?! :shock: Cheers, Alf
Long url, hope this works.

Kingshott book at UK Amazon

But really, all I did was a search there. I think some of these are from used book sellers, of which I have used a few and things have worked out fine.

Mike

Well thanks for the replys. I don't know about skinflint, I just don't like throwing things away, particulary tools. :shock: So I was looking for away of reusing what I had.

I will have to try and find some boot sales where all these good old saws lurk. :? Most that I have been to have loads of toys, not tools. :x

I think if I see some saw files at Tools 2005 I will buy some just incase I find a nice old saw to sharpen. 8)

DaveL":3d9m9g8h said:
I will have to try and find some boot sales where all these good old saws lurk. :?
Dave, depending on what you're looking for, I may be able to help. PM me if interested.

Cheers, Alf

Ok. Blame it on the medications that I was too inattentive to not notice these were books I found. Well, maybe I was just being lazy :)

Living in the land of plenty, the *videos* are available here as noted. Cambium books has some as do others. No idea what the postage would be.

Cambium Books Kingshott titles

I apologize for any confusion :? my errant post may have caused...

Do note GMC publications say they have two, both on sharpening (one turning and carving tools and one everything else I presume). Both in stock.

D&M claims to have the first one above. As does Stobart Davies.

But the handplane one doesn't seem to be available in the UK, nor the making and modifying tools one.

Sorry. Mikey

One interesting tip I haven't tried (I have filed quite a few saws) is putting a hacksaw blade as a guide for at least really small joiners saws. That was in one of the FWW books.

I don't know if that tip has been in FWW, but I strongly suspect it originated with Robert Wearing in the UK.

Personally, I think it's a good way to wreck the hacksaw blade and the file.
In any case, I don't know where to get a (cheap) 10 TPI power hacksaw blade.

In the DTP era, I suggest making a simple print of your desired tooth spacing, and gluing it to the saw.

http://nika.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu/~cswi ... 63#message

BugBear

bugbear":3f6dzso0 said:
One interesting tip I haven't tried (I have filed quite a few saws) is putting a hacksaw blade as a guide for at least really small joiners saws. That was in one of the FWW books.

I don't know if that tip has been in FWW, but I strongly suspect it originated with Robert Wearing in the UK.

Personally, I think it's a good way to wreck the hacksaw blade and the file.
In any case, I don't know where to get a (cheap) 10 TPI power hacksaw blade.
I've done it, but not with a hacksaw blade for that very reason. I used a mitre saw blade instead for 14tpi IIRC. Worked very well and didn't trash the file any worse than retoothing does anyway. It does do for the template blade though, but that's not really a problem if it's an old one, and you can reuse it as a template so you only need to do it once.

Cheers, Alf

Ah, I should have clarified. The desirable videos to the budding, or even wilting, neanderthal are ones listed here. Thanks to The Gloatmeister, I've seen the bench planes one, so now I just need to convince him to buy the others... :wink: :lol: Somewhere I came across the old contact details for getting them in the UK, but as I'm trying to save up for Tools 2005 I haven't actually tried to see if they still have them. And now I can't find the details anyway... #-o

Cheers, Alf

Back