Is there another (UK) name for Dado plane?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl P

Established Member
Reaction score
Recently had a Madox dado plane - I could only find references to these on the net with this name, my understanding is that dado is an American term, is dado another of those words that has become obsolete here but still used in America, or is the plane an American invention?

Sensible, logical replies only please!

Cheerio,

Carl

I just tried Googling " dado plane" and got pictures of ploughs, fillisters, moving fillisters, carriage makers rebates and other rebates - 78s etc and some moulding planes.

I think people say what they think they mean more often than not.

I don't know the origin of "dado" but it's not as obsolete as "dodo".

Ellis (1903) gives "Grooving Plane"; Melhuish (date unknown, but somewhere 1905-1930) list a "trenching plane"

BugBear

The normal term in UK and US usage to name the sort of plane which cuts a fixed width across the grain is indeed "dado plane." This can seem a little bit odd; many of us will call a shallow groove across the grain a "housing" - that's what I was taught at school and the use of the word "dado" for that sort of groove does sound like an American usage.

According to Goodman, the earliest known written use of the name is in the inventory to the Seaton Chest which lists "4 Dado Groves, Screw Stops." (The reference to screw stops is to show that these planes had threaded brass depth stops, not the simpler wooden stop.)

Note that the word "groves" (ie "grooves") is there as well, possibly suggesting that the name was not in common usage in 1797. Goodman does say that earlier planes by Madox pre-date the Gabriel planes in the Seaton inventory.

The same "Dado Groves" name was used in another inventory, of Gabriel's shop stock, in 1800.

I'll see if I can find anything else illuminating in old catalogues and suchlike.

Richard T":1nojy8fe said:
I don't know the origin of "dado" ......
Dado Firehiwot (b. 1984) is an Ethiopian long-distance runner.

Dado_Firehiwot_NYCM11.JPg

Hope that helps.

In a very comprehensive price list from Varvill of York (not dated but around mid C19) there is no mention of "dado planes" but they do offer:

Trenching plane, wood stop, to 3/4" 4s 6d
Ditto, brass stop, to 3/4" 6s 6d

However, the 'grooving planes' came in pairs, so I think they must have been for tongue-and-groove work.

A Henry Osborn catalogue of 1898 includes in the section on planes:

"Dado Grooving or Trenching with Screw Stop" at 5s 3d.

So plenty of choice there.

Any pics of your old Madox at all?

The word dado is common here, although I usually hear it in reference to table saw talk (dado stacks) as opposed to an actual "dado plane" or guys frequently talk about using shoulder planes or router planes to clean up dado's in cabinet work.

Thanks for all those replies - fascinating how language and terminology changes, I would have thought 'housing plane', but I like the idea of Trenching, very practical.

Jacob - perhaps her father was a carpenter

Unfortunately no photo's, it had woodworm and no nicker or wedge (and a wooden depthstop), I had a more modern one the same size in better condition, so it it had to go on fleabay (very honestly described), to help pay for more wooden things with holes and rusty metal attached.

Cheerio,

Carl

madox dado 1.JPG
Just took these photo's off my ebay account,

Cheerio,

Carl

Attachments

• madox dado 1.JPG
    madox dado 1.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 1,025
  • madox dado 2.JPG
    madox dado 2.JPG