Is There a Market for an Open Workshop?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you pay to use a workshop with high end machinery and tools available?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I do think you'd have some success in offering short-term courses on the basics of safe wood machining. The average DIYer/hobbiest has received little or no training on this subject, which does consequently lead to bad accidents (and rubbish tool purchases! :D). Most courses that cater for this require a long term commitment, maybe a day or two each week for a couple of years. There are, of course, furniture makers out there who teach students on the side of making their own furniture... Because of the expense, these are again unappealing to most beginners.

If you can offer one or two-day courses covering all the basics and keep it affordable, it might just work. I've often thought of doing something like this myself in a few years but, I'm a long way off of anything like that right now!

Insurance would probably be your biggest obstacle, yes. Don't know whether you would need some form of training or a certificate if you want to 'teach' and educate others thought?

OPJ":3eabcv0z said:
Don't know whether you would need some form of training or a certificate if you want to 'teach' and educate others thought?

not to offer non certificated training - technically anyone can offer training courses (though obviously qualifications help convince the trainee of your credentials and may be required by the insurers)

you only start to need formal teaching/trainer qualifications when you start offering NVQs or city and guilds etc

that said one qual that will definitely be required by the insurer is the full four day first aid in the workplace course - you will need at least one fully qualified person on site at all times - plus all other staff ought to have at least the one day appointed persons, on top of that they might also require fire safety awareness, and risk assesments carried out by a qualified risk assessor

SawdustMaker":1hs7j5tv said:
My company is US based so some times I am over in Silicon Valley. I have found two machine shops which offer courses etc. Always want to go for a course when stuck there having time to kill but as of yet I have not managed it.

Anyhow the links are:-
http://www.sawdustshop.com/
http://www.techshop.ws/

Thanks for these links - this is really helpful in suggesting that this might work. I do think some of their prices seem pretty high ($200 for 10 hours of shop time or $75 a day) whilst others are low ($85 a month if you sign up for a year). Still - this might make the bank manager (and SWMBO) believe a bit more.

I voted Yes on the initial concept, it's a good idea but would need a lot of tweaks in my opinion.

-Health & Safety would be one of the biggest hurdles like a lot of people have noted. You would probably have to make people sign disclaimers etc.

-Half days would be difficult to justify as setting up and clearing down may amount to 5-15% of your allotted time, depending on the job (gluing, staining etc.)

-It might be a good idea to include some kind of ecommerce option, so that people can sell their stuff if they want to. This isn't as technical as it sounds, there is a site that offers a very simple customizable format that is just tick boxes and options and is really easy to set up. I think it's free as well! they take a small percentage of the final total. Couriers are available for delivery as well if the packaging/protection is done by you: e.g 30kg 100x50x30cm item =£30 anywhere in the uk. With a local pick-up.

-It might be an idea to offer an 'overflow' facility to local workshops, i.e if a local tradesman/craftsman hasn't enough room for a certain job @ their own location they can come and use yours. Or book it for a solid week for massive jobs and you would have a list of people that can help/ be part-time employed by them.

I think your idea has scope but it would need a lot of thought on flexibility. That's my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

_Dan. :)

Good Afternoon Just joined the forum and was reading through the different threads when I stumble on this, to me this sounds like a great idea yes it would appear to have one or two problems like h and s , insurance and first aid but if you have enough interested participants who's to say you cant overcome these
obstacles.If you could roll this out in differnt areas and could work out the going rate if there is one then you could help fund your idea by approaching some local job centres offering a form of training, retraining ,back to work, basic woodworking and machining call it what you will but at the same time not lose the ability to enjoy the original concept, just an idea will be watching for all the future developments
good luck Andy

Latest posts

Back