Is There a Market for an Open Workshop?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you pay to use a workshop with high end machinery and tools available?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

xraymtb

Established Member
Reaction score
First post in a while...I've been busy.

A few of us have been looking into jointly opening a workshop to produce some pieces for sale. The idea has kind of mushroomed into a full business plan that we have taken advice on and I would love it if the community here would give us some feedback...

The idea behind the workshop is to provide a small number of semi-professional makers with the space and tools to really make a go of things, but to help finance this through the provision of classes (run either by us or by outside tutors) and to try and give an inroads for the community to get into woodwork and furniture making. A secondary element to this is to offer a daily (or half-daily) bench space rental for the enthusiasts in the area to use a workshop that they have neither the space nor funds to have at home - providing large capacity saws, P/T's, spindle moulders etc. and the help and advice of some local professionals.

Our big stumbling block for now is whether there is going to be a market for this - will people go to classes (priced to compete with the likes of Axminster) and will people pay to spend a day using the workshop?

Any thoughts, comments and suggestions are welcome - I can't think of a better group to ask for this particular subject!!

One problem is most people who did not have machines of their own would be unlikely to know how to use them. Consequently someone would have to show them how with consequent health and safety issues.

Bench work and hand tools is a different matter as many people like the idea of evening class type environment.

It might be difficult to fill during the day as most people would be at work.

I voted no - but thats a purely personal preference that i like to work in private and would hate to share a workshop even if that means i'm restricted to my lower end kit - that said there are people who hire time on the big machines in bigger workshops so i dont see why it shouldntr work for you.

one point that occurs to me is how you are going to work the issues of insurance and liability - how do you ensure that everyone using the hired shop knows what they are doing and wont injure themselves or another customer...

interesting idea that we've discussed here before. Biggest problem is going to be public liability.

I think I'd use such a facility for two reasons:

Timber prep & dimensioning - I have P/T and 8" t/s but at the side of the garage and I must admit disappearing under the junk. If a facility was local and priced right I would sell up and use it.

Bench space - two thoughts here - if priced at upper end I would use as a source of informal tuition / coaching to improve skills. If priced at the lower end (I don't think this is where you are going as I can't see a margin but I am thinking more 'club' atmosphere than semi-prof) with no frills it would be a good social day out even if progress was not optimised!

Either way, best of luck and I hope whatever you decide on works well for you.

Simon.

Definitely. In London, I really stuggle if I can't find a friend in a theatre with a quiet scene dock. I've built stuff on kitchen surfaces and with chairs for saw horses and I'm terrified that one slip will make me most unpopular with the landlord/housemate.

That said, fingers crossed for that boat and I'll finally have my own proper bench and everything :)

I voted No!

But here is why.

For me to Say "Yes" the facility would have to be local to me. I live in central Surrey so I guess I could call local "anywhere within the borders of Surrey". Any further than that would be out of the question.

I voted 'no' as my 'shop is reasonably well equipped for the sort of work I like to do. That said, if a facility were fairly close to machine say, some big baulks of timber beyond my capacity, then I'd probably use it - Rob

What I need is what I had when I was at work, somewhere I could go and say "Whack that through the PT for me when you've got a minute, Ralph. Thanks." For a modest fee, of course.

A workshop where I could just heave up with some timber in the back of the Volv and get it dimensioned to take back to m'shed.

Though to be fair there is a carpenter/cabinet maker shop down the road, who might do it if I asked nicely. Last time I was in there it was a very old-fashioned place, each man with a bench and a big assembly table, lots of hand work going on.

I said YES

On the basis that it I would like to access higher end (larger) machinery on occasion. However the caveat would be location and to a certain extent cost as I can do most things with a bit more effort currently. e.g. I would love access to a wide belt sander but can manage with hand held belt ROS etc.

Are you able to say where abouts this workshop would be, Mike. Not a lot of point in saying "yes" only to find that it's too far away.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

As a newbie to the hobby/home woodworking I'd say a definite yes. Use of bandsaw tablesaw and P T would be great until such time as I could afford/justify my own.

I would be happy to pay either per use or a monthly fee if you were in my area.

Paul Chapman":iu032fg6 said:
Are you able to say where abouts this workshop would be, Mike. Not a lot of point in saying "yes" only to find that it's too far away.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

North-East Surrey would be good...

hi

I said no purely under the E/S + personally i don't think it a good idea , I wouldn't want to use machinery not knowing what muppet had used it before me , but if there was a full time machinist there who was solely the only person to use the machines and i had a job to big for my own machines to cope with i may think twice . hc

Yes.....but it would have to have stuff beyond a well equipped home workshop. Things like a spindle moulder, 4-square planer, a mega-sized jointer, a conveyor fed oscillating belt sander, a 16" or bigger table saw etc.

I used to go to a friendly joiner's shop locally to bulk prepare planks with his table saw and 4 square planer. Poor chap died last year......

Mike

Interesting, my vote (yes) made it exactly a 50:50 split again. I probably would consider using a shop like this for big pieces which can't so easily be done on home equipment. Since a lot of the equipment would be above what I'd typically use a pro there to offer guidance would be important (as would location). Courses would be good too even if it's just courses on how to use the equipment in the shop.

No from me. I don't do this as a living and I enjoy time in the shed just doing "things", pottering, if you will. Yes it would be nice to have access to a lot more (better ?) machinery but I tend to make do with what I have got.

For me any benefit would come from meeting other people there, exchanging ideas and learning from and with them.

Bob

Mike Garnham":1frezr60 said:
I used to go to a friendly joiner's shop locally to bulk prepare planks with his table saw and 4 square planer. Poor chap died last year......

Mike

This the solution.

Cultivate a good relationship with a local joiner or cabinetmaker and get him to bung your wood through his machines in exchange for some beer vouchers.

Basic stock preparation for an average hobby project which can be completed in a home workshop wth basic tools shouldn't take more than an hour or so...

...well worth fifty quid cash in hand!

Form an orderly queue, now. :lol:

Posted No as I already have access to a large workshop, for free, which far surpasses the skills I have at present. I also am learning a lot from my friend and his father to increase my carpentry skills.

Whilst the idea is sound, there would be little benefit for me except for the social interaction element, to share and benefit from others experience.

Thanks for all the responses so far.

The people involved are spread around Southern Scotland so for those of you in Surrey it might be a long drive :D

Ideally, if we could prove the concept works, there is no reason that further workshops couldnt be opened in other areas. One version of our business plan has the workshop running as a social enterprise which would mean investing profits back into the business/community.

From the comments here, there are a few things I would clear up:

1) The intention was to run courses, not only to help pay for the shop, but to get the local community involved and educated in safe working practices. These would include training on safe use of any relevant machinery and nobody would be allowed to jump in without proving they know what they are doing.

2) Timber prep is an area that we had considered offering as a service and the concept we arrived at was to take people through the prep themselves, training on the machinery so that they could do it alone the next time. There would always be someone on site to supervise people that were using it on a non-regular basis as well.

3) As for the equipment - there would be some items that a home workshop is unlikely to have - a large drum sander and spindle moulder for starters. Other equipment may not be better than some people have but our target market is really those that couldn't afford, or have space, for a table saw of 12" or bigger in their home.

I really appreciate all the feedback - the project really is in the 'good on paper' stage and this kind of help is what we need to start making it a reality.

Back