Is that awl ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dangermouse

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure where to put this post, here or in the turning or metal work section. But plumped for here as I don't do much turning and its making a hand tool, ( sort of).

I saw a very nice new marking awl kit on evil-bay a while back and got it for a very few shillings. Now it is complete except one has to turn a wooden handle for it. No problem I thought, until it came and the instructions told me a I needed a bit of kit called a pen mandrel and some bushes ( not the garden variety ). So back to evil-bay for a look around. Turns out cheap kit, expensive mandrel kits ! Well to me anyway, who has very little intention of making a pen and if I did, wouldn't be more than once in a blue moon.
Soooooo what to do, decided to make one. I had some 6mm sliver steel rod in the workshop so that was ok, next found an old brass front knob from a block plane that has departed this life. right so threaded the end of the bar and put a threaded hole in the brass knob, hey presto a pen mandrel thingy. I will hold it in a three jaw engineering scroll chuck that fits my Union Jubilee lathe. Cost ..........nothing plus £1.50 for the bushes.

DSC01223_zps5aef29ee.jpg

DSC01219_zps3813bbbf.jpg

DSC01220_zps035cd698.jpg

I'm ordering one of these kits too following this post, looks like a nice little project! Look forward to seeing your attempt!!!

hi dangermouse
this looks a good idea
could you please post a link to where you got the awl kit from.
looking forward to seeing the finished item.
cheers paul-c

paul-c":1hf9qwsw said:
hi dangermouse
this looks a good idea
could you please post a link to where you got the awl kit from.
looking forward to seeing the finished item.
cheers paul-c
Go on ebay and type in awl kit. Think it was about 6 quid and a couple for postage

Back