Is Prunus any good for turning?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewm

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just taken down a tree that was too big and too close to the house. I believe it is some form of Prunus (dark green leaves, white flowers and black berries) but cannot be sure. A friend will take it for firewood but if it is any good for turning and anyone here local to Cambridge would like a bit then they are more than welcome to take some. Will probably need a chainsaw though.

Andrew

sounds like 'Cherry Laurel'

turned a fair bit of mine very wet, and it was like butter :) Nice texture and grain, some mixed colour in there too.

seems to stay wet a long time - I have a whole load sealed and drying now; hoping for good things.

Prunus is the same family as cherry and a load of other fruit trees. It is often prone to splitting but if you treat it kindly it can be gorgeous wod. Always worth grabbing any wood you can get your hands on to be honest.

Pete

jumps":1w68aikq said:
sounds like 'Cherry Laurel'

turned a fair bit of mine very wet, and it was like butter :) Nice texture and grain, some mixed colour in there too.

I was going to identify it as Prunus laurocerasus but held back because I wasn't certain. Your identification from my description makes me more confident.

Bodrighy":1w68aikq said:
Prunus is the same family as cherry and a load of other fruit trees. It is often prone to splitting but if you treat it kindly it can be gorgeous wod. Always worth grabbing any wood you can get your hands on to be honest.

I don't do any turning - I don't have the tools but my father is interested in trying a bit if it is likely to be any good. The rest is available for anyone who can collect it. Otherwise unfortunately I know someone who will have it as firewood.

Andrew

Back