Is 9mm MDF 9mm?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartpaul

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, - I know it sounds like a daft question but I also know that 6mm ply isn't 6mm (more like 5.6mm or thereabouts).

I've got to cut a load of grooves and in looking for a decent slot cutter can only find 8.5mm and 10mm (wealdens). Left wondering if the 8.5 might actually be the best bet.

Anyone know?

Get the 8.5mm and rout from both faces doesn't make a difference what thickness the mdf is then as you can adjust slot width to suit

I measured the following

6mm mdf 6.16mm
9mm mdf 9.07mm
18mm mdf 18.11mm

I suppose you could get the smaller one, do the cut with it, then slip a sheet of card under the base and do another run.

stuartpaul":1blo83at said:
Thanks people, looks like the 8.5 then.
doctor Bob":1blo83at said:
wealdens do loads of cutters at 9mm
Not groovers they don't!
Not sure where you're getting the 8.5mm from - Wealden do an 8mm, 9.5mm and 10mm groover in the standard range, or 8mm and 10mm in the heavy duty range; if the 'standard' is deep enough for what you need I'd go for the 9.5mm personally. FWIW I use a 6.4mm (1/4") HD Groover for 6mm panels, and it's plenty snug.

HTH Pete

You can stack multiple groovers onto a single arbour to achieve your target groove.

An alternative to trying to make a groove or housing that matches the board material's thickness is to run a groove, in this case, for ±9 mm MDF, with a standard 6 mm groover or router cutter, and then cut a tongue of some sort on the end of the male part to fit the groove. This works in all sorts of situations, but it is admittedly a two stage process, which may be what you're trying to avoid for a variety of reasons: for example, you may be trying to fit a panel into a frame but don't wish to put a profile of any sort on the edges of the panel to fit the frame's groove. Slainte.

stuartpaul":3bogeu7k said:

doctor Bob":3bogeu7k said:

Not groovers they don't!

I buy about 2 every other month off them........................... yes groovers.

doctor Bob":2vag5sgt said:
stuartpaul":2vag5sgt said:

doctor Bob":2vag5sgt said:

Not groovers they don't!

I buy about 2 every other month off them........................... yes groovers.

Care to share a link? I can't see any 9 mil ones.

Sgian Dubh":1afbujt5 said:
An alternative to trying to make a groove or housing that matches the board material's thickness is to run a groove, in this case, for ±9 mm MDF, with a standard 6 mm groover or router cutter, and then cut a tongue of some sort on the end of the male part to fit the groove. This works in all sorts of situations, but it is admittedly a two stage process, which may be what you're trying to avoid for a variety of reasons: for example, you may be trying to fit a panel into a frame but don't wish to put a profile of any sort on the edges of the panel to fit the frame's groove. Slainte.

With the amount I've got to do I'm desperately trying to reduce the number of cutting operations hence (as you rightly summise) the desire for a close match straight off the tool.

Many thanks Bob.

Strange how one appears in the spares list but not in the main catalogue?

I'll ring them tomorrow to make sure I get the right arbor at the same time.

Thanks again.

Stuart

you will need to blank off the arbor, till you reach the thread as well, about 5mm

Back