Iroko & Sycamore - Arts & Crafts Side Table WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really impressed with that. Its a really attractive combination of timber. It reminds me of San Francisco. Its has a European and oriental flavour to it. Most pleasant.
Owen

Thank you all for the kind comments, it's really nice to get positive feedback on a project. This one has been really interesting for me because its the first time I've had an opportunity to indulge in hand work and make a 'fine' piece rather than a large agricultural item. The workbench has made doing this kind of work a lot more accessible and I can't wait to start my next project.

I'm interested in whether any of you would have done something different on this project, are there things you don't like, or would have done in a different way?.. Martin; you say it's better than you thought - what were you're idea's during the making of this? (Note: I really am interesting in a critique of this, I'm not in any way being funny with anyone - just wanted to put that because I have a habit of saying the wrong things at the moment).

Constructive criticism welcomed.

ByronBlack":321ypa04 said:
I'm interested in whether any of you would have done something different on this project, are there things you don't like, or would have done in a different way?.. Martin; you say it's better than you thought - what were you're idea's during the making of this?

Byron,when you started the project and produced a sketch, I thought it looked a bit too busy for me, but I did like the idea of the two contrasting woods, even as you were making it and posting the pics it looked too much, but it became clear why when you posted the completed item, the background in your pics made the difference, with a clear background the item looked excellent.

Maybe the only thing that I would have done differently is to bring the legs up to mate with the Table.

motownmartin":3aiapvf2 said:
ByronBlack":3aiapvf2 said:
I'm interested in whether any of you would have done something different on this project, are there things you don't like, or would have done in a different way?.. Martin; you say it's better than you thought - what were you're idea's during the making of this?

Byron,when you started the project and produced a sketch, I thought it looked a bit too busy for me, but I did like the idea of the two contrasting woods, even as you were making it and posting the pics it looked too much, but it became clear why when you posted the completed item, the background in your pics made the difference, with a clear background the item looked excellent.

Maybe the only thing that I would have done differently is to bring the legs up to mate with the Table.

Thats great martin, thanks. I agree with you about the background during the build, my workshop is quite ugly without the cladding and that can make some shots quite busy.

I like it, a lot more going on than would normally appeal to me but the proportions I think are spot on.

Only thing I would say is it the photo or in the angled view do the tenons on the right protrude slightly more than those on the left face?

Great piece ...... though don't know how you and others manage to get so much time in the workshop!

That's very cool buddy, the contrast is perfect! Not sure if I like the through tenons or not, but I do think they add a lot to the piece and you've pulled them off well...

Also we're doing tapered legs at college just now and the design they gave us was 40 - 30mm but they look far too bulky for our wee demilune table, but those ones on yours look so much better! I'm gonna use those dimensions I think... So thank you! :D

Only thing I would have done differently is to tie the timber up into a nice neat bundle before starting the project and........

.......send it all to me :twisted:

Superb job mate, I suspect the pictures don't do it justice. Very very well done.
=D> =D> =D>

lost track of this one.

Well done BB, the table looks stunning. A very beautiful piece.

Yes Byron you have really done a fine job,
I too like Martin thought it would be a bit fussy when i first seen your design,
but it has turned out very well.
well done,
Cheers
Gary.

If there's a reason for doing your own woodwork as opposed to buying flatpack furniture from a store, this is it. I love your table, Byron.

Gill

Thanks Lukey/Gill

I'm really quite surprised by the amount of positive feedback on this one, I wasn't sure it would turn out myself from the rough doodle that it came from, so it's great that so many of you like it, hopefully I can continue the upward trend in terms of woodworking mojo and make some more nice pieces :)

The main thing is SWMBO loves it, especially the rippled sycamore at the front, she wants me to make a sideboard using more of it!!

Yes. A really lovely piece and a great project. It had everything. I was impressed right from the start by you getting the wood off ebay and then producing such a great Arts and Crafts design. I too am doing more handwork and there was much to be learnt from the discussions and your running commentary. And it didn't take you long to complete. The contrasting woods and exposed tenons looked great. I could go on...

Cheers Ted

Thanks Ted, I'm sure if you tried something yourself that is similar you would thoroughly enjoy it, I certainly did, there is something very rewarding in working mostly with the hand-tools, I really like the balance I have at the moment with using some machinery for the drudgery prep work, but using hand-tools for the important joinery/fitting and shaping. I can't wait to get christmas out of the way (doing a number of projects for gifts) so that I can start on my inspired side-board/book storage unit!

If i can be of any help with regards to any aspects of this project, then please feel free to give me a shout :)

Back