Introduction

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eg

Established Member
Reaction score
So, I posted a message a few days ago without properly introducing myself, despite being a silent reader for much longer than that.

After spending a year studying furniture making in a small workshop in Devon, I have recently been setting up my own workshop in Berkshire.

Here are pictures of some of the furniture I designed and made.

A game compendium, where each of the drawers is a different game:
147fs502927.jpg

147fs503022.jpg

147fs503176.jpg

A dressing table:
147fs416043.jpg

Eyal

Welcome eg,

Thats some beautiful stuff there. I look forward to seeing more of your work

Don't worry Eyal, as I'm sure you are aware the Spamulator has caught your links, a moderator will fix it shortly.

Whoops too slow already done.
Beautiful dressing table Eyal.

Any more :wink:

Dom

Eyal, love the games compendium. I'm assuming that the game is on the base of each drawer with the pieces inside. What are the two games shown as I have not come across them before.

The first game is Tablut, which is a Nordic game. The second game is Ludo / Pachisi / Home, which is an Indian game. The other two games are Go, a Chinese game, and Mancala, an African game.

Eyal

Awesome stuff - makes me feel positively inferior... :roll:

I particularly like the legs on the dressing table - very elegant.

Make sure you enter the competition - TIP - you're not a beginner!

Cheers

Gary

Beautifully finished pieces Eyal, and your eye for balance and proportions show an elegance of form and construction.

I am a lover of Hepplewhite style furniture, in my eyes your pieces have a similar character as far as construction is concerned, the ability to select materials and design strength into such slender structures has always drawn my admiration.

Lovely work eg. hope to see more in the future.

I especially like the legs on that dressing table - gorgeous!!

Loving the work Eyal the Game compendium`s my favourite.
Can`t wait to see moe of ya work.
Keep up the superb work.

CarlC

Just wanted to thank everyone for the positive feedback and to answer motownmartin on the way I did the inlay.

For the inlay I used a variety of veneers (0.5 mm thick), home cut veneers (2 mm thick) and veneer strings (2 mm wide, 0.5 mm thick). I start with a flat (!) piece of wood; with a marking knife I mark the place of the different pieces of veneer, and then with a router I "make room" for the inlay. I then glue the veneer in place, and wait for the glue to set. Next step is to cut the narrow grooves for the veneer strings, and glue them in. When the glue sets, I flatten everything by a combination of very sharp chisel and sanding paper.

Two important tips; The first - in order to rout quite a few straight lines which are relatively far away from the edge of the board I use two fences. I replace the usual rods that come with the router with longer ones and attach two fences - one at each edge of the board. The second - in order to avoid tear out of the veneer when I rout the grooves for the strings I cover the area with sellotape, and rout through it. It makes quite a mess, but at least the veneer remains intact.

Eyal

eg":2uxvjxni said:
Just wanted to thank everyone for the positive feedback and to answer motownmartin on the way I did the inlay.

For the inlay I used a variety of veneers (0.5 mm thick), home cut veneers (2 mm thick) and veneer strings (2 mm wide, 0.5 mm thick). I start with a flat (!) piece of wood; with a marking knife I mark the place of the different pieces of veneer, and then with a router I "make room" for the inlay. I then glue the veneer in place, and wait for the glue to set. Next step is to cut the narrow grooves for the veneer strings, and glue them in. When the glue sets, I flatten everything by a combination of very sharp chisel and sanding paper.

Two important tips; The first - in order to rout quite a few straight lines which are relatively far away from the edge of the board I use two fences. I replace the usual rods that come with the router with longer ones and attach two fences - one at each edge of the board. The second - in order to avoid tear out of the veneer when I rout the grooves for the strings I cover the area with sellotape, and rout through it. It makes quite a mess, but at least the veneer remains intact.

Eyal
Eyal, Many thanks for the information and one day, after I have grasped the basic woodworking skills, I shall look forward to having a go at something as delicate as this.

Martin

Back