Internet Generated Sales

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradNaylor

Established Member
Reaction score
I speak to a lot of cabinetmakers who generate very little business through their websites; indeed many seem to have given up on the whole idea. I know a few who don't even have a website.

I'm posting the following email correspondence to demonstrate just how powerful a sales tool the internet can be. Names have been changed in the interests of client confidentiality.

Hi Dan

I found your website on-line and I just wanted to find out whether you covered Lymm in Cheshire before I contact you with an enquiry?

I am looking for fitted bookshelf/cupboard space as well as a free standing cupboard/display cabinet

Many thanks

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Many thanks for your email enquiry.

Yes, I cover Lymm.

I look forward to hearing from you again with an idea of your requirements. Alternatively, if you want me to come and see you simply give me a call on 0161 *** **** or 07*** ******

Regards

Dan Tovey

Hi Dan

I contacted you a while ago regarding a free standing cabinet as well as some fitted bookcases/storage. The bookcases will have to wait as we have not yet chosen a sofa and the shelving will need to fit around that but I wondered if you could give me a rough quote for a free-standing cabinet.

I have done a very rough sketch (not much of an artist I'm afraid!) which I've attached so I think you can get the idea from this. It has a drawer at the bottom and 'shaker style' doors which match those on the kitchen cupboards. I have taken some photos of the kitchen cupboards and I'll forward you them under a seperate e-mail so you can get the idea of the look of the front of it as it might not be that easy to tell from my sketch.

I would like it in painted wood and the dimensions are:

Wide - 90cm
Depth - 35cm
Height - 200cm apx but can vary depending on shelf height requirements etc inside.

Height of each shelf inside - apx 30 cm.

It has to be very sturdy as it will be holding glasses and plates etc which will be quite heavy.

If you could get back to me with a rough quote and expected timescales we can take it from there.

Thanks very much for your help,

Sarah Peters

KitchenCabinet.jpg

Hi Sarah,

A rough guide price for a cabinet as you describe would be as follows;

Freestanding cabinet as sketch to be constructed from a combination of beech, tulipwood and moisture resistant MDF.
Drawer to be mounted on soft-close concealed runners and doors to be hung on 170 degree concealed hinges.

To be finished in 2 coats of AC primer and 2 coats of AC paint in the colour of your choice. I have a wide range of knobs and handles to choose from.

Total price including delivery and installation £1950.00

My schedule is currently full until April 2009 so earliest delivery would be May. I can come over to visit you and discuss it at any time.
I can always quote for your bookcases without knowing the exact dimensions; I can even book the production slot. Precise dimensions can be decided later.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Rgds
Dan Tovey

Thanks Dan

That sounds good. Just let me know if I have to do anything to get the ball rolling i.e a deposit or something?

Thanks
Sarah

Hi Sarah,

I have attached a sales order form for your cabinet.

I require a deposit of 25% to secure the order followed by another 25% when I am about to commence work on it. I would suggest that I come and sort out the fine details such as colour and handles with you around Easter time so that I can have your order ready in May.

You can either send me a cheque for your deposit or make a direct payment from your computer. My bank details are on the order form.

Many thanks for your order and I look forward to meeting you.

Kind regards
Dan Tovey

Hi Dan

Thank you

I have sent the deposit of £487.50 to your bank. Please confirm when you have received it.

I can't wait to see the cabinet!

Sarah

I have just checked my bank and the deposit arrived yesterday.

I have never even spoken to Sarah, never mind met her. In fact, I don't yet have her address or phone number! My costs so far for securing this order have been minimal - maybe 20 minutes of my time replying to emails.

Previously I would have responded to a telephone enquiry by making a visit - maybe two - and spending several hours either travelling or discussing the project with the client.

If anyone had told me a couple of years ago that I could be doing business in this way I would have been very sceptical. Yet it is increasingly becoming the norm.

If this is the future - I like it!

Cheers
Dan

Good for you Dan.

I always think its gratifying to see someone getting a bespoke service that suits what they want and a business getting good reliable custom - everyones a winner here.

Just out of interest though, how much if your business is this easy to secure?

Cheers, Ed

Argus":33q9jfg1 said:

Is that order one of many from the internet or a one-off?

I get a lot of business from my website. Typically I'll get an email enquiry which leads to me visiting the new client to discuss their requirements.

More and more though, I am quoting on the basis of drawings or photos emailed to me. In fact, I now suggest on my website that people email me a sketch of what they want together with photos downloaded from the internet to give me an idea of the style they are looking for. It works well.

This is the first time however, that I've actually secured a commission without even speaking to the client!

Cheers
Dan

I find many people try to be too clever on their web sites. You really don't need fancy graphics or animations. You don't even really need multiple pages. Keep it simple with pictures of your work/products.

Oh and please please put your address and contact number. I've seen numerous sites where the "contact us" button leeds only to an email form and no postal address. If I can't buy from you on-line then I'm going to need to know roughly how far away you are. If I'm trying to short list a few suppliers to go and visit you won't be on it without an address.

Think of your web site like a CV. Most CV only get 30 seconds attention from a potential employer making a shortlist. Same with web sites, if your web site hasn't loaded in 10-15 seconds and/or I haven't got a good idea of what you sell in another 10-15 seconds then I'm gone. Keep it simple.

CWatters":q2w5aazb said:
I find many people try to be too clever on their web sites. You really don't need fancy graphics or animations. You don't even really need multiple pages. Keep it simple with pictures of your work/products.

Oh and please please put your address and contact number. I've seen numerous sites where the "contact us" button leeds only to an email form and no postal address. If I can't buy from you on-line then I'm going to need to know roughly how far away you are. If I'm trying to short list a few suppliers to go and visit you won't be on it without an address.

Think of your web site like a CV. Most CV only get 30 seconds attention from a potential employer making a shortlist. Same with web sites, if your web site hasn't loaded in 10-15 seconds and/or I haven't got a good idea of what you sell in another 10-15 seconds then I'm gone. Keep it simple.

Couldn't agree more.

To me, a website is basically a glorified Yellow Pages advert in which you have a brief opportunity to introduce your business, explain exactly what services you provide, and to sell the idea of the potential client making contact with you.

The beauty of web-based marketing - and Yellow Pages for that matter - is that in order to find you the customer has had to be proactive. They have entered a seach term into Google or Yell or they have looked up an appropriate category in the Yellow pages book.

This means that they are actively looking for a solution to a problem.

Selling is this situation is very simple. All you have to do is to offer a solution to the customer's problem at a price they can afford and in such a way that they trust you to perform your side of the bargain.

Regular advertising such as leaflet drops and ads in local newspapers just does not bring such qualified leads. I find it almost totally ineffective and very expensive.

My website works fantastically well and is very simple. I did it myself with some Serif software I downloaded for free.

The secret is to get it up the search engine rankings. This is also remarkably simple using Google Maps. In addition register your website with as many free directories as you can find and put in as many links to and from other websites as you can engineer.

My only marketing costs are about £30 a year for web hosting and an entry on Yell.com - about a tenner a month. From this both my mate Phil and myself are booked up 6 months in advance and still turn down half the jobs we are asked to do.

A very fancy website would turn a lot of people off.

Cheers
Dan

CWatters":30hfcofj said:

let alone the fact that, for a business, it is now illegal not to put these details on a website!

Dan Tovey":a526wspc said:
A very fancy website would turn a lot of people off.

Cheers
Dan
But may also turn a lot of people on...

I look at your site - half the text doesn't display in Firefox and the pictures are poor quality. That is poor attention to detail in my book, and were I a potential customer it would put doubts in my mind. I would be most likely to move on to the next website.

However, if your site is working for you, it's a moot point.

Dave

RogerS":2o17zfr3 said:
CWatters":2o17zfr3 said:

let alone the fact that, for a business, it is now illegal not to put these details on a website!

I'm illegal!! Yippeee, I'll take comfort in joining the massed ranks of the criminals.

Thanks Bob.

The link you mentioned is entirely absent - can't see anything - mind I view it in Firefox, but I can't see it in IE7 either.

Seems very trusting of the lady to give him the money up-front without any other communication.

Well I use Firefox and have no problem viewing the site at all. I think it is a great idea to make the site yourself, and be seen to be a small business producing one off pieces. If this is what someone is looking for then they will be attracted to that type of business, if not then why have them taking up your time in the first place.
Good on u Dan, glad to hear it is working well, and I wish I had so much work I was able to pick and choose the jobs I do.

Johnny B

Argus":2r57ju2o said:

Thanks Bob.

The link you mentioned is entirely absent - can't see anything - mind I view it in Firefox, but I can't see it in IE7 either.

Seems very trusting of the lady to give him the money up-front without any other communication.

I've never known a problem with the site in Firefox or IE, but I'll have a word with my computer nerd mate tomorrow to see if there's anything wrong.

You're right - it is very trusting. It kind of caught me by surprise too.

That's why I brought it to everyone's attention.

Dave S":2r57ju2o said:
But may also turn a lot of people on...

I look at your site - half the text doesn't display in Firefox and the pictures are poor quality. That is poor attention to detail in my book, and were I a potential customer it would put doubts in my mind. I would be most likely to move on to the next website.

However, if your site is working for you, it's a moot point.

Lets take a guess - you work in website design!

All I can say is that my site brings me more business than I can cope with, and my clients tell me that they like its 'downhome' appeal rather than some corperate looking site.

Back