Interesting site

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
Whilst doing a bit of Googling I came across this site, which contains some very familiar faces, tho' none that have departed for pastures new :wink: - Rob

Nice site, and some wonderfully talented designers on there - which may explain why some of the departed aren't featured. [Edit: I wish to apologise for this remark as it seems to have upset many people and that wasn't the intention].

Some beautiful work to study there, another few hours lost in front of the computer.

I am a member of that forum, though no longer making much more than demo dovetails, etc. for my small groups of students.

The fascinating thing about this professional forum is the unfailing courtesy and good humour of the members, even when thery have a disagreement.

David Charlesworth

ByronBlack":3lfsa34t said:
Nice site, and some wonderfully talented designers on there - which may explain why some of the departed aren't featured.

Is this the first example of the more lenient moderating policy? or has it always been the case that members of this forum are free to make disparaging remarks about anyone who is not a member of "their" community?

"or has it always been the case that members of this forum are free to make disparaging remarks about anyone who is not a member of "their" community?"

I think its cos Byron had a fight with most of them...lol

David C":w1zu8zvi said:
I am a member of that forum, though no longer making much more than demo dovetails, etc. for my small groups of students.
The fascinating thing about this professional forum is the unfailing courtesy and good humour of the members, even when thery have a disagreement.
David Charlesworth

You mean they project high personal standards in public David regardless of provocation, always a sign of a true professional.

I often liken some of the exchanges seen to the difference between the last two dogs we had, one would bark with authority if his territory was challenged and then just stand his ground in silence, the other would always have to have the last yap but from behind the gate, fence or nearest friendly human.

CHJ wrote -
You mean they project high personal standards in public David regardless of provocation, always a sign of a true professional.
I agree with the sentiments expressed by Chas and David. I think that it would be very pleasant and enlightening to have some input on UKW from other members of that forum. - Rob

spadge":1kn6s1b4 said:
ByronBlack":1kn6s1b4 said:
Nice site, and some wonderfully talented designers on there - which may explain why some of the departed aren't featured.

Is this the first example of the more lenient moderating policy? or has it always been the case that members of this forum are free to make disparaging remarks about anyone who is not a member of "their" community?

Perhaps you should have a thorough read through the other forum. There are plenty of disparaging remarks about this forum and its members.

The pot calling the kettle black?

Bearing in mind the recent ructions here, it's very easy to succumb to the temptation to disparage other people. In some ways, I suppose, it's the natural thing to do :( but I hope we can soon move on.

I can't help remember that many of the departed were very generous with good advice and resources to other members. Their departure saddens me but they no longer felt at home here and now have a place of their own. Surely there's room for both types of forums on this internet? I wish them every success.

Coming back to the subject, the woodwork on that website is very impressive and quite inspirational. To my mind, it exemplifies what bespoke woodwork is about - let's see Ikea or MFI produce laminated flat-pack copies of those lovely pieces :lol: .

Gill

woodbloke":1wpmjvbx said:
CHJ wrote -
I agree with the sentiments expressed by Chas and David. I think that it would be very pleasant and enlightening to have some input on UKW from other members of that forum. - Rob

DMOU is a membership by invitation or application self help group of professional furniture designer makers. Not every proposal or applicant to the group is accepted.

Are we polite? Yes, mostly. It can get a bit heated sometimes, but usually exchanges concern technical issues, financial issues, material sources, philosophical issues, and so on.

As to input from other DMOU members (eg, me) on the UKW forum, I'm not sure I understand the question. I participate here on an fairly infrequent and intermittent basis. I most often contribute here by giving an opinion concerning someone's question-- suggest a technique for example, or perhaps offer some woodworking insight I've gleaned from somewhere, something like that. Sometimes I post something mildly (or maybe not so mildly) provocative in a thread to see who bites, and to see what the response is-- maybe I can tease out something a bit more in-depth than an earlier response from a particular contributor.

I'm not sure what else there is to have an opinion on regarding the group. I quite enjoy helping other woodworkers achieve what they set out to do, and forums are one way of sharing knowledge.

I suppose I also keep an eye on two or three woodworking forums largely populated by amateur woodworkers because when I'm in the mood I sometimes write on woodworking subjects for money.

If I notice a trend where a subject keeps popping up in woodworking forums and there are a lot of baloney'ish answers in response to the questions I've been known to take that on board, write about it, shove it in an envelope to a magazine and get paid, which seems like a reasonable way of doing business, ha, ha.

On the other hand woodworking magazines tend to pay authors rather poorly, at least that's mostly the case here in the UK, so to make it worth my while switching on my computer most of my output is aimed primarily at the American market where remuneration is a bit more generous. Slainte.

Sgain Dubh wrote -
As to input from other DMOU members (eg, me) on the UKW forum, I'm not sure I understand the question.
I meant that it would be useful to have a diverse view on some of the topics discussed on the forum, with an input from different folk (including yourself and David) on that professional forum. I think, again a personal view, that it would enrich and enliven what is an 'amateur' or 'hobbiest' forum (by that I mean people who do their work in garden sheds, as I do, or garages) by bringing a different perspective to what we try and achieve. I find your comments and David C's, extremely valuable (and yours sometimes absolutely hilarious :lol:) and wish that more professional makers doing the sort of work that I (and others) admire could find some time to join UKW - Rob

woodbloke":yd4rfm5t said:
I meant that it would be useful to have a diverse view on some of the topics discussed on the forum, with an input from different folk - Rob

It's possible that not too many of them know about this forum. Perhaps also many of them are as busy as they want to be running their business.

I just don't know why there aren't many DMOU members active at this forum. Maybe some of them are aware of it but are more reluctant to get involved than I am. I know for instance that I don't answer as many questions as I could. I'm selective about which threads I get involved with. There's many a question here I know the answer to, but I click elsewhere. I suppose, like many others, I've got plenty of other things I should be doing.

Which reminds me. I've got a very large project I should be working on, and here I am piddling about, and that work's not getting done. Toodle-pip. Slainte.

Back