Interesting pieces of furniture - 15

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Here we are, the 15th piece in the series, once again from my 'inbox'

One of our member's favourite pieces, Hans Wegner's Peacock Chair made from Ash, teak and papercord

13555-35104.jpg

pp550_34A_sq.jpg

pp550_34_b.jpg

Website may be found here

All are welcome to comment on the pieces and please pm me with links to any photos that you would like featured here and a few lines explaining why

I will copy all items of furniture I post here into a single sticky thread in the Design Forum, thus creating a pictorial 'list' of interesting furniture here

Wow not seen that piece before.

I like it a lot and would certainly give it some room in the house

I really like this piece. However, from the pictures it looks as though there are two versions - one in which all the wood is ash; the other in which it's ash but with teak arms. I don't like the teak arms at all, but the all ash version looks stunning.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I find many of Wegner's pieces stunningly beautiful, partly because of the apparent simplicity of the shapes he uses, but this is one of my all time favourite Wegner pieces. To me is a wonderful fusion of traditional Windsor chair form and relatively contemporary style (I believe it first appeared just after WWII). The use of rush seating to my mind introduces some very interesting texture into what would otherwise be a plain and boring seat bottom. I, too, prefer the all ash version. I feel the addition of a darker timber such as teak detracts somewhat from the "showiness" of the peacock tail back splats.

Scrit

I love it - stunning.

It is interesting I think how the colours affect one's perception of it. I definitely prefer it in the ash. I don't think it would work very well for me in a dark wood.

I love Wegner as a designer, but I cannot stand this piece - to me, it looks far too showy and brash, and just tries too hard to be different and make a statement.

I don't know, it just doesn't get me excited i can,t imagine i would ever have anywhere to put that piece. I would imagine it would need a very ceratin type of environment not to look out of place.
Owen

It's squat, looks oddly proportioned and a bit bland IMO. I wouldn't have this in my home, not one of my favorite pieces this.

Dom

Possibly one major difference between Wegner and many other designers is that his stuff is all designed for mass production in a factory. I doubt that he ever made his own prototype without a master woodworker there to do the hard bits. For my benefit what is a nursing chair? It's just that to me the peacock chair (this design) is an updated version of the traditional Windsor chair.

Scrit

Scrit":2187y1mw said:
Dom

For my benefit what is a nursing chair?

Scrit

A low chair designed to be used by nursing mothers(breast feeding).
This is an old one we have. It's abot 18" high at the seat.

DSCF0511.jpg

Pete

not my cup of tea at all.
The back, the seat and maybe even the arms are lovely individual pieces but not together like that.

Back