Interesting pieces of furniture 19

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

OK, here we have the 19th in the series of interesting pieces of furniture for your consideration which was sent to me by one of our members a while back.

The member said:

I love long case clocks. Their simplicity, their soothing tick-tock, the way they become a part of the family as they are handed down through the generations. But so often they are spoilt by the unnecessary fussiness of their cases, adorned as they are with naff phrases like "Tempus fugit" and ostentatious pillars and furnials. Then one day I saw this long case clock by that Master designer and furniture maker John Makepeace. At last a case so simple, yet so majestic, that really does justice to the movement inside. How I would love to own that clock.

02clock2.jpg

The website is to be found here

All are welcome to comment on the pieces and please pm me with links to any photos that you would like featured here and a few lines explaining why

I will copy all items of furniture I post here into a single sticky thread in the Design Forum, thus creating a pictorial 'list' of interesting furniture here

This clock I find absolutely stunning, another Makepeace masterpiece. The only thing that I find slightly disconcerting is the chapter ring used. It's clearly the sort of thing that ought to go into an antique or repro clock so it looks slightly odd to me, but that said, the contrast between the clock face and the slick lines of the burr case with the patinated 'sculptural' top seem to sit well with each other in an odd way. It's obviously a very considered decision to have that sort of clock face, but I wonder if it would have looked better with a more modern one. Would also like to see how Makepeace has treated the lower half of the clock - Rob

Very nice clock.
I kike most of because tyhe design, shape and veneers are just right. It seems to have a curved back also which must be quite difficult to make.

About the only element which does not work for me is the topmost piece in green. If I put my fingers over this and just look at the rest of the clock then it seems to be better proportioned and to work just as well. The top is also a bit of a curiosity as to how it fits in with the rest of the design...for me that is.

Are there any pictures of the rest of the clock. It would be great to see the bottom half.
regards
alan

Thanks for the link Tony

I'm speechless...this guy is master of the masters...his simplest piece is the clock all the other works are irregularly beautiful.

I don't know if he also designs them but even just to build them, one should be very, very skilled.

Many pieces looks like Picasso paintings

And people are excited from Norm building a kitchen from plywood and pocket screws.....

Regards
niki

I love the case but agree with Rob about the repro clock-face not fitting in.

I am stunned by the furniture on this guy's website, however. Take a look at his cabinet called 'Sand'.

I guess I could just about reproduce it, but as for conceiving it...

The bloke is an artist!

Saturdays Times colour supplement has a feature on him by the by.

Cheers Mike

:shock:

Now that didn't draw much discussion!!

Maybe I sould have mentioned Festool or Dado in the title? :lol: :lol:

Tony":2my5qhed said:
:shock:

Now that didn't draw much discussion!!

Maybe I sould have mentioned Festool or Dado in the title? :lol: :lol:

Did you want something more contentious? :) Ok - have to say I took the view that if ye can't say anything nice then it's best not to say anything. Personally I think it looks like a sickly treacle pie with a mismatched face and a "thing" on top but then what do I know. Not to my taste at all but then its obviously only ever going to be a taste issue when looking at work with this sort of provenance.

Cheers Mike

Hi Mike

Just imagine that all the people in the world would have the same opinion on every thing....we would look like pre-programmed Robots...and it would be a very boring world.

Even a negative or different view is ok....

On one of the American forums, there was a thread about the "Grrripper".
I think that 35 or so replies were one big Hallelujah... "I love It", "I cannot live without it", "I don't know how I managed before" and alike....Very boring...

Yes, of course I gave them my "view" and said that, "there is no even one operation that you can do with the Grripper, that I can not do with the blade guard installed"...my post was ignored...

In my opinion it's ok to disagree as long as we respect the other and not trying to force on him that "my way is the only correct way"

Regards
niki

I was the person who submitted this one. I love long-case clocks but seldom like the cases - when I came across this one I thought "Wow, this is what a long-case clock should look like".

It's OK not to like it though - it would be boring if we all liked the same things. I have a long-case clock movement that's been in the family for years. I had to burn the case, which was riddled with woodworm, when I inherited the clock. I hope to make a new case for it some time this year. The original case was very simple and quite crudely made - the clock spent most of it's life in a farm house, in the kitchen along with the bacon curing :shock: so it will probably need a clean as well. I've managed to retain the piece of wood that the clock sat on so I'll try to incorporate that in the one I make. I also have the history of the clock written by my uncle on a piece of card when he gave it to me, so I'll incorporate that somewhere inside.

I'd love to be able to make a case like the one John Makepeace made but I'm afraid I don't have the skill, so mine will be more like the original.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul - look forward to seeing the design for the clock, something that I would like to have a go at as well....tuit job though :roll: Would be very handy to have some really good saws for that job, think about all the dovetail cutting and carcase work involved :wink: :lol: - Rob

woodbloke":261pkgxt said:
Would be very handy to have some really good saws for that job, think about all the dovetail cutting and carcase work involved :wink: :lol:

I know, I know :roll: That's partly why I hadn't started it before - still, hopefully this year :wink:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

The case design and finish I like, brings a classic piece of 'furniture' into the modern world without going all freakish in my view, I agree with others regarding the face, to me it does not fit and a plainer white enameled face would have looked more elegant. As for the finial, I think it is superfluous in its present form and takes the eye unnecessarily away from the body and face.

Another yes vote here - I think it would look better (at least in most surroundings) without the top finial - then the squared top would emphasize the 'simplicity' of the main body, and even the green would still look good. I agree with Paul's original quote though that most clocks are overly fussy.

I've always fancied making a clock but in my house and those of relatives theres no obvious place for a long case. I am tempted to have a go with a similar design but in a smaller version if I can find a face and movement - it's been too long since I built something I wanted, rather than fulfill orders for family and friends.

I like it except for that green monstrosity on the top, takes the eye away from what is a simple but elegant design. I agree that the face does not go with the design and think a plain dial or even one made with an insert of the burr would have fitted into the overall design much better.

Whilst I am full of admiration for the skill in both design and craftsmanship, I always feel that this sort of work is limited in where it would go. I guess there are people out there who have the right type of house and and the money to buy it but sadly it ain't me.

Love to be able to do it but still prefer 'old fashioned' styles like this

Pete

Simplicity is different, but the body, face, and top 'thing' jusy don't seem to flow together to my eye.

And the whatever-it-is (movement access hatch/opening?, detail?) two-thirds of the way down the otherwise sleek smooth body takes the eye/mind into 'whar's that all about?' mode.

Wish I could see the whole body, that may rebalance my perception? But somehow, having looked at some others of his pieces I doubt it - I don't think JM does 'extraneous'.

Pity, cos the oh-so-simple body is delicious.

Latest posts

Back