Interesting pieces of furniture - 12

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Busy time at the moment, but the event you've all been waiting for - the twelfth piece of furniture in the series.

A nice cabinet by Richard Williams that was suggested by one of our members

99927162_xl.jpg

More info here

All are welcome to comment on the pieces and please pm me with links to any photos that you would like featured here and a few lines explaining why

I will copy all items of furniture I post here into a single sticky thread in the Design Forum, thus creating a pictorial 'list' of interesting furniture here

Understated, subtle curves, light. My kind of furniture. My only misgiving is the centre drawer section. Not sure about that, but I don't know what I'd do differently.
=D>

Very nice but think i would have done the doors in the same style as the drawers even if it meant veneering them somehow to get that lovely grain in the doors

As nice as it is I do not like the feet and my eyes are drawn to them every time I look, so I will have to say that it fails to satisfy me.

Same here (the feet), and the interruption of the arch at the top looks a bit odd. It looks a bit cut and shut.

I'd like to see the balance of top thickness, stile width and foot ... to be different. Hmmm... not totally satisfied with my description any more than I am with the piece!

But take a look at the macassar ebony ( not my favourite wood) desk and tell me you wouldn't pay 30K for it if you had the money. I love it and would certainly buy it If I won the lottery.

I like this one myself. Not too showy, nice lines... and would look good in my house. I'd have done the base a little differently myself as it looks a little chunky at the moment.

I like it but agree with the reservations about the feet and the drawers. I think the feet could be improved by radiusing the front of each foot to match the sides of the cabinet. I am undecided about the drawers but something that mimics the doors on either side might work.

Hate to buck the trend, but it is the doors I don't like. It seems to me that they don't fit with the simple style of the rest of the piece.

but then what would I know. :roll: :wink:

DomValente":3avfenub said:
Thanks Tony, but no thanks.
Somehow it doesn't look finished.
Yes - could do with a lick of paint.
Boring "posh hotel" furniture IMHO. If you found this in your hotel room you wouldn't give it a second look - after you had stashed your socks and underwear and checked out the mini bar.

cheers
Jacob
PS I do like furniture BTW, just not much in this series :roll:

I agree about the drawers/doors not matching. I do like the "no handles" approach though.

Andy

Don't mind it, as someone says its a little bit hotel like but i expect its probably a lot warmer in reality.
Owen

An interesting one, which I nearly like but its just a bit fussy for me.

It looks someone went to a furniture maker wanting a minimal 20th century sideboard but added in a hint of country cottage to match their existing furniture! I don't mean that in an insulting way it just seems to be a bit of a mix of styles

I like all, and I think the contrasting style of the drawers and doors make it interesting. The only change I would make is in the size or the drawers. I would have made them all the same depth, even if this would have made it less functional.

Paul

I like it for it's subtlety, but I think the middle draws are too plain, they need some detail to make them fit a bit better, maybe a tapered edge, or a profile to add some shadow..

It's a little bland and unambitious in its use of colours/wood species, I would have liked to see a little more contrast in there somewhere, but otherwise I think it's one of my favourites of the series so far.

I'd like to see a view from another more frontal angle as I have a feeling that the Drawers may blend in a little more than they do here, with the darker Side Doors. Olive Ash is one of my my favourites and with the 'restrictions' he had working from one tree, I find it quite beautiful.

The wood has a lovely soft glow about it and the design appears rather simple but it quite apparently isn't! Having said that - I'm not overly keen on the feet or plinth as they seem a little 'chunky', but that's a minor point really.

Not quite sure about this one. I think as others have said that there is something 'not quite right' about it but it is hard to pin down what - the feet maybe or the difference between the doors and draws.

I took a moment to look at Richards website and he does do some beautiful work. As sideboards go, this one he made itches where I scratch, if you know what I mean!

021.jpg

Steve

Steve, glad you posted that, i've had a pic of that in my scrapbook for sometime, and have promised SWMBO that I would try and make something similar for our living room - I absoutely love that piece!

Latest posts

Back