Interesting if slightly scary looking contraption

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know why people are criticising the safety of this machine. The guys in that video had hi-viz vests. What more would you need?

The things that puzzles me are:
  1. who has enough pallets to match that machine's appetite?
  2. What value does pallet wood have?
  3. What value does pallet wood containing nails have?
  4. How many pallets would it take to pay back 3 grand?
  5. How many hours would that take?
  6. What is your hourly rate?

That has to be one scary ride they need at Alton Towers :) would it go faster with slick tyres?

Well I think its looks great, a super effort and not so different to the commercially made one in the video, an improvement would be the flip over bar on the commercial one. I guess that its easy to knock out the cut off nails which from memory are not “annular” all the way up?
Steve.

I'm reminded of the shout from Sakimoto , the last line of the Kamikaze pilot sketch, on the Cheech and Chong album.
Whenever I see footage of Kamikaze pilots boarding their planes, I always wonder, "Why do they need their swords?'

I'm sure one of you 'smart Alecs' will have a nanswer! :unsure: :dunno::ROFLMAO:

This version looks a bit safer but you would need to be processing a good few pallets to justify it.

There are videos on youtube of similar things using engines, car wheels etc to make "backyard sawmills" in the USA, along with the scariest customised hotrod homemade chainsaws that you'll ever see.
Can't remember where but I recall seeing a video of some competition where they were all using trick tuned chainsaws with massive Kaaden chamber exhausts, and goodness knows what rpm. Just fell through a three foot diameter log like the proverbial hot knife through butter. Winner was whoever did it fastest, something like 4 seconds if I remember rightly. Impressive, but scary as hell 😂

Can't remember where but I recall seeing a video of some competition where they were all using trick tuned chainsaws with massive Kaaden chamber exhausts, and goodness knows what rpm. Just fell through a three foot diameter log like the proverbial hot knife through butter. Winner was whoever did it fastest, something like 4 seconds if I remember rightly. Impressive, but scary as hell 😂
Those are the ones..Two Harley engined chainsaws* and V8 engined chainsaws. A whole world of "hold my beer" lumberjacking.

there ya go

or put this into a search engine
harley engined chainsaw youtube

*That is two Harley engines on one chainsaw.
meanwhile Stihl actually sell this

the chainsaw that is..
I have to admit to having something of "a thing" for chainsaws, now have 8 ..lost count of how many angle grinders..more than 8 now...and around a half dozen die grinders..and umpteen dremel type things

Last edited:
Looks like they might need this. Blade stop for bandsaws.
Only really in the meat industry, but if the tech is there I suppose for any bandsaw it would make a great safety addition.

Last edited:
They are very expensive and require the wearing of blue nitrile gloves (the sensor system detects them) . They are very effective but the huge bang they make when the brakes cut it in ….could also give you heart failure 😁

Those are the ones..Two Harley engined chainsaws* and V8 engined chainsaws. A whole world of "hold my beer" lumberjacking.

there ya go

or put this into a search engine
harley engined chainsaw youtube

*That is two Harley engines on one chainsaw.
meanwhile Stihl actually sell this

the chainsaw that is..
I have to admit to having something of "a thing" for chainsaws, now have 8 ..lost count of how many angle grinders..more than 8 now...and around a half dozen die grinders..and umpteen dremel type things

The girl seems to have exceptional muscles everywhere! However with 8 angle grinders you seem to be just the person to ask, is the rear collar on an angle grinder universal, front secureing nut is M14 and the rear has a couple of faces that get drive off the spindle, my old Black and Decker Pro has come back to me minus its rear collar, I have a job to do with it and I wonder if the collar off my Makita would fit? I cannot try it as its presently 60miles away!
Steve.

All of mine are interchangable* the only thing that varies a bit ( IME ) is the precise positioning of the two holes in the front nut, which means having to have afew of them around or else the "key" can rip out of the front holes when tightening.slight variance of the depth of that "drive slot" from one to another but IME as long as they are M14 you can use any with any.

*That said I've neither Makita, nor B&D pro in my menagerie.

IMO he has the chain slightly too slack on that chainsaw, can see it bouncing at a few points on some cuts, and to stop the "getting stuck" it should be ever so slightly worked from side to side " yawed" whilst cutting to make the cut width about twice the size of the "kerf"..The guy in the black tee worried me, no protective footwear at all , and didn't really seem to know how to handle a chainsaw, ,nor that revs must be at max especially when starting a cut. But then it's the USA, the number of unsafe things they each did was par for the course.
Handling the new chain with no gloves..safety glasses only appearing after a couple of cuts, no safe chain proof chaps or chain proof jeans.Distractions.
The participants in the other video were just crazy.. :)

Last edited:
Back