• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to UK Workshop and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Steal of a deal! Planer thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bp122

Expert at Jibber-Jabber
Reaction score
The description said the table is 1.7m long. That is just over half the available length of the room in my workshop!

3 phase though is a pretty big turn off for alot of people.
Maybe for some, but if I had the space and cash, I'd have bought it first and then sorted out a vfd solution and still had decent money left over compared to what these sell for normally.

They are a solid bit of kit and should out last most of us but it is an old machine.

It seems like a good price but the big old machines don't appeal to many people.

Negatives are it will weigh about 400kg so hard to move, 3 phase, no brake. Looks like outfeed table isn't adjustable so a pain to set blades, you could maybe get the ESTA blade system but that would probably add another £300. If you wanted to add a digital thicknesser readout it's nearly another £100. Dust extraction wasn't thought about on old machines and generally doesn't work very well. Looks like the bridge guard could be missing?

I have an old 12" Sedgwick planer which I paid about the same for, it does the job but I hope to upgrade to a more modern user friendly machine at some point.

It seems like a good price but the big old machines don't appeal to many people.
These old machines are well built and have stood the test of time, modern stuff is all sheet metal fabrication and lightweight. A local wood mill near me has machinery that is over sixty years old and going strong, just so solid and imagine how many times it has already paid for itself.

A VFD is not always a solution, limited to a 3.5Kw motor and even a convertor is limited by the fact your house has a 100 amp supply, with a real three phase supply you can go for even bigger machinery that becomes even cheaper.

Back