Interesting experiment!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brianp

Established Member
Reaction score
I did a bit of sawing on this piece of iroko before I put it on the lathe. It's to go on top of a treehouse. Used a carving tool to add a bit of detail on the sides, and to clean up the 4 "fingers" which aren't beautiful!

How can I make the next one better?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,191
Don't know how long you expect them to last but a cupped hollow in the top is the best way to ensure the most rapid deterioration from water collection without at least one drain hole.

If it's intended to represent Castellations then you need to cut them vertically and turn the inner bore base as a raised cone to shed the water through the Castellations slots.

CHJ":2b3d9aob said:
Don't know how long you expect them to last but a cupped hollow in the top is the best way to ensure the most rapid deterioration from water collection without at least one drain hole.

If it's intended to represent Castellations then you need to cut them vertically and turn the inner bore base as a raised cone to shed the water through the Castellations slots.

Yeah, I had that way back in the recesses of my mind. It'll Probably only need to last just a couple of years, and I must investigate further about maybe handcarving in a bit of drainage. Inner cone is a great idea if I do one again, thanks!

TBH I was just curious (and excited) as to how the shape would turn out for me, given it's my first time trying something "unusual" like that - I probably rushed the design concentrating more on the aesthetic. It wasn't the easiest to turn the "cup" at the top, I think the Iroko timber (quite dusty and chippy as I'm sure you guys know) doesn't help with that.

Not quite castellations - I was going for more of a "rustic" imperfect fantasty land kind of look. There's a sort of orcs and elves theme to the treehouse.

Also, I don't think I'll burn it.

babylon355":16kh0q6s said:
Don't burn it, who is to say it should be? That's not a particularly helpful post IMHO

Fourthed, but it made be laugh. Perhaps we should charitably assume it was meant to be humorous :wink:

:)

Thanks folks, all of the "don't burn it" posts are helpful! (There was a bit of a dip after the suggestion was made!)

I passed the "item" on to it's owner yesterday who seemed delighted with it. We spoke about the drainage issue Chas highlighted and wondered whether something like Sugru could be used to fashion some sort of cone shaped feature in it. (Could look a bit like a fire?) So we'll see how it goes!

Brian.

Apologies if my remarks gave any offence Brian. Unintentional I assure you and all in the best possible taste. I work in an environment where caustic humour is the norm...sometimes I forget it's a little too caustic at times! So don't be such a big girls blouse and.....oops there I go again :)

Just keep turning and don't worry about old gits like me

Back