Insurance

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tombo

Established Member
Reaction score
Our household insurance is due for renewal and was wondering what cover we had last year for my tools in the garage.
Turns out it was just £1000 :shock:
Now i don't think i have a lot but...
I used the axminster page and added what i could find on their website to the shopping cart. Of the things i could buy from them I was up to 6.5k.
This did not include all the big tools table saw, bandsaw, thicknesser, jointer, pillar drill, bobbin sander or any of my small collection of car tools (snapon), or the countless little things like sharpening stuff, drill and router bits abrasives and finishes etc.
I'm under a bit of time pressure as the insurance is due in a few days but i am shopping around for cover in the 10k region. God knows what its going to cost.

You might want to take pictures of your tools to show that what you actually owned. You'd find that both determining what was destroyed/stolen and documenting the claim would be easier should you need to file the claim.

Kirk
Who needs to take some new pics, particularly of his hand tools...

You may struggle to find an insurer who will do what you want as part of your normal household policy, as I did. They tend not to like lots of valuables srored in what they regard as an outbuilding. I had to settle for cover of much less than the true value, even though my workshop was a secure brick built former garage. The story would have been different had the workshop been integral with the house with direct access from it which it now is, following alterations. Your post is a useful reminder that I should look at getting it changed. Your best bet is to talk to your insurer and if the person you get doesn't seem to have a clue (all too common) ask to speak to someone more senior. Insurers vary a lot in their flexibility as to what they will cover (I moved from Direct Line to Aviva over this) so it is worth taking the time to phone a few and see what they will do.

Jim

Aviva do a special policy as do John Lewis that will give you the cover you want. You may have to call them rather than do it online...which tends to cater for 2/3 bed Barratt boxes .

Back