Insurance companies think I'm stupid

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
devonwoody":lj4balzv said:
My attack plan is when the renewal comes in and its higher I go and get a lower quote from another company and then say to the present insurer, "would you like me to stay with you this year again but I have got a lower quote", (sometimes even reduce that myself a little) quote me lower and I will stay.
It seems to work most times, (but make sure they are not reducing cover somewhere to make their quote lower)

Definately the right approach these days - unfortunately the world we live in is grab what you can and sod everybody else.

I was in Newcastle on Friday and saw no less than 3 separate "stalls" enticing the public to claim for accidents on a no win no fee basis.These guys were actively selling and leaflet pushing. No wonder a majority go for easy money and fall over pavements, machinery at work, get whiplash in very minor vehicle bumps and numerous other "potential opportunities". :roll:

I know one guy who got a big payout which bought him a large bungalow, from the Met police force years ago for falling over a bin bag. Hurt his back but strange he could still do heavy lifting, garden work and breaking a concrete slab as well as refereeing rugby matches :shock: . Received invalidity benefit for donkeys years and couldn't understand when I told him he was a leach and we were paying for him in our taxes.

In the end, we all pay in increased premiums and council tax etc. do the claiments care - do they b******* !! It really p***** me off !!!!!!

My father in law, now sadly deceased just couln't get his head around it all as he was a retired Commercial Union branch manager (Norwich Union / Aviva), and he worked in the days when a quote was a quote, a fair assessment based on risk and history and it was take it or leave it. he wouldn't believe me and virtually called me a liar when I had an issue with the Norwich Union a few years before he died.
Our home and contents jumped by 30% without apparent reason. I'd been a customer for many years so I 'phoned and said "sort it out or I go elsewhere". amazingly they reduced the premium by more than they had increased it. I accepted but said that the following year I would move whatever (and I did) as I felt what they were doing was unethical.

I should have moved immediately but I was stunned.

bob

Lons":2w1fzyzr said:
I was in Newcastle on Friday and saw no less than 3 separate "stalls" enticing the public to claim for accidents on a no win no fee basis........
bob

I'd wrap a piece of 3x2 around the heads of these blood-sucking leeches. I did think/had hoped that the Coalition were putting a stop to this. certainly Lord Young made this recommendation in a report he made.

Must write to my MP about this and I urge everyone else who agrees with me that these parasites are down there amongst the dregs of humanity.

~Roger, I have never sued anyone, but surely its better to use a no win no fee lawyer than someone who charges a fat fee even though he does not benefit you a penny compensation even if your claim was fair but not win able.

I am with Roger they are leaches, it has even made some scum bags have deliberate accidents. There was a video of someone pretending to fall over a pavement, but was filmed by her silly person mate as evidence, but it was clear that it was set up :D . You can see it on day time TV, attacking vulnerable single parents I suspect. The thing that makes me laugh, there is one commercial featuring a popular TV personality who suggests that his company even use real lawyers, shock: does that mean some of the others do not, what is an un-real lawyer. Do not get me wrong, there clearly are genuine cases where a financial award is justified. But look at the whiplash scam at the moment; you and me have to pay increased insurance to fund this. It does not help our legal profession, which I hold in high regard, maintain a acceptable standards.

devonwoody":1a23ihb9 said:
~Roger, I have never sued anyone, but surely its better to use a no win no fee lawyer than someone who charges a fat fee even though he does not benefit you a penny compensation even if your claim was fair but not win able.

No.

There's just too much money in it for the lawyers.

My wife is an insurance broker. A commercial client of theirs had a spurious personal injury claim made against them which, after a bit of wrangling between insurers and "injured's" solicitors resulted in a settlement of £2k for the damages. Costs? £20k.

That's why the solicitors are chasing every bit of business they can get their mitts on.

Cheers

Karl

Karl":35reucoz said:
There's just too much money in it for the lawyers.

My wife is an insurance broker. A commercial client of theirs had a spurious personal injury claim made against them which, after a bit of wrangling between insurers and "injured's" solicitors resulted in a settlement of £2k for the damages. Costs? £20k.

That's why the solicitors are chasing every bit of business they can get their mitts on.

Cheers

Karl

That's absolutely spot on Karl.

I have no argument with genuine claimants who might for instance cut off a finger or have an injury at work due to their employers negligence. They should be compensated but every spurious claim pushes up the costs and insurance premiums which result in higher prices of the goods or services the company produces or even jobs in some cases.
Though one of my staff many years ago nicked his thumb on the machine whilst sharpening a saw blade. He had removed the guarding despite strict instruction and a notice to the contrary and as a consequence of failing to report th the accident officer or notify me, he got blood poisoning 2 days later.
The company was fined for that and he received £5 for his injury. The guy was genuine just silly as I'd have given him a b******** for taking the guard off but where's the justice.
Had it happened today, I bet the cost would have been 10 fold :shock:

If someone has an injury, it's easy to seek advice and even if it's no win basis, they should be prevented from inciting people to make false claims and that is exactly what they are doing IMO.

As an aside - one of the "salesmen" in Newcastle shoved a leaflet in my face and wasn't best pleased when I told him to "shove it where the sun doesn't shine" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bob

According to Which the "best" insurers are: NFU, then "Over 50's" then LV.

NFU - you have to ring them direct and Over 50's too busy to process on-line so somebody will ring (their on-line form is very frustrating - insists on Employers name even though you have ticked the Retired box!!).
LV no problems with the form so looks like we will be going with them?

Rod

LV looks very promising.

Over 50's insisting on Employer's name even though you are retired? Sounds just like the census form.

EDIT: Just got a quote from Over 50's....so much for Which's recommendation then. Perhaps Over 50's only like drivers who run a 1000cc Micra. Anyway at nearly £500 !!!!!...£500 even with full NCB..minimal driving....Over 50's can go swivel.

Well Roger at least you got something from Over 50's - no response so - perhaps the LV quote I used instead of the Aviva one has scared them off? :)

Rod

Back