Insulated feral cat house

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the stab victim has been released from hospital, and is (or was a couple of hours ago) snuggled up in leaves in the ho(g)tel. (you need to look carefully!) That's not the final placing of the box; it's got a specially cleared space by the garden wall.

Attachments

• Hogtel occupied.png
    Hogtel occupied.png
    500.2 KB · Views: 39
Well, the stab victim has been released from hospital, and is (or was a couple of hours ago) snuggled up in leaves in the ho(g)tel. (you need to look carefully!) That's not the final placing of the box; it's got a specially cleared space by the garden wall.
Aww this is so sweet. And it looks like your injured guest will be happy in the hogtel for many years to come. Brilliant job! 😊

Corer blimey, better stay out of this! Only good cat is a flat cat (looks a bit like a funny-edged pizza).
100% with you. Spawn of Satan. Decimator of wildlife.

The most recent figures of how many creatures are killed by cats are from the Mammal Society. They estimate that cats in the UK catch up to 100 million prey items over spring and summer, of which 27 million are birds. This is the number of prey items which were known to have been caught. Source: rspb website

How can it be a known figure and an estimate?
Most of these surveys are flawed in their methodology, for example the BTO conducted a survey to find the hunting habits of cats, then used the averages for the 1-3 age group (most prolific age group, by 5 it drops markedly) then multiplied that by the best estimate for total cat population. Hardly likely to result in an accurate figure but it's easy to blame cats, or farmers, or wind turbines, etc

Hope so; seems like (s)he may be useful clearing up the varieties of cat food that our fussy 21 year old (cat!) refuses to eat.
Oh that's such a good idea! Would be nice to hear how (s)he is doing and also if your hotel attracts new guests. Keep us posted. 😊

The hog has been seen on the trailcam exploring round its new home. But apparently, they should not be given wet cat food (not sure why, but daughter is well up in these things), so it will have to be another deserving cause who gets Puss' rejects.

The hog has been seen on the trailcam exploring round its new home. But apparently, they should not be given wet cat food (not sure why, but daughter is well up in these things), so it will have to be another deserving cause who gets Puss' rejects.
Perhaps you'll adopt a stray ferret? My dad did this a few years ago after one ran into the house during a snowstorm! Delightful pets once you get used to the smell! 😄

If the cat has a posh insulated house can it still be feral ? Looks like its moving towards feline gentrification to me.

Ollie

Hello everyone,

After making a few bird houses last year from old pine bookshelves I was asked by a friend if I'd make her a cat shelter for a feral cat she's fed for 10 years.

I live in a flat and use my living room so it was a challenge! Fortunately I bought a Dyson vacuum in the sales! I used some reclaimed plywood boards I bought from a young lad who gets them from pallets and 60mm PIR insulation that was sold by a lad who was working on a cladding removal job at a local apartment block - he asked how many sheets I wanted and literally climbed up and pulled them off the tower!

The plywood wasn't the best quality but I was surprised how accurate I was able to make the cuts using a track saw. The outside wooden 'frame' is mostly decorative though the corner pieces do act as legs. I gave the whole thing three coats of cuprinol shades sage paint.

My friend loves the house and the local cats have all been inside for a look.

Anyway here are a few photos.

Merry Christmas everybody,
Steff

this would go down with our neighbour she love cats, most if not all cats in our area visit her most days.

Back