Installing a single oven - advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerM

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been asked to install an eyelevel single electric oven for my Mum, who is in her early 80s. Budget is around £450, but could stretch a little further for the right piece of kit. We like the idea of the Neff "slide and hide" range as it's a small kitchen and it would also prevent having to reach across a hot door. However, I've read several reviews where the door has broken within the first couple of years, and that engineers have said that it is a common fault. Neff customer services were not highly rated, so it's putting us off. Mum lives on her own so it has to be reliable.

Any feedback you kitchen gurus can give about the reliability of various brands, and also what would be suitable for an elderly user?

If you want a functional oven with out paying for a brand then you can't go far wrong with Caple, should get a high spec oven for that price.
http://www.caple.co.uk/appliances/ovens/
My parents are in their 80's and they wouldn't want all the new fangled gizmos
I'm just about to do my kitchen for the new house and I will go for Siemens, above neff and below Miele.

Thanks Bob. Basically she wants it to cook evenly and be simple to use. She hates touch controls - all main controls have to be knobs. Unfortunately going up market also usually means added gizmos and touch sensitive functions that she neither wants nor needs. We've gone for Miele and Siemens fridges and freezers, and a 5 ring Siemens hob in our own kitchen. We kept the existing AEG oven as my wife liked it so much.

If the Neff "slide and hide" oven was reliable it would be a no brainer. We've never heard of Caple. As an installer what is your experience with Neff?

Just as a quick customer perspective, I've got double eye level Neff's with slide out trays. (Which are the best oven innovation I've ever come across) 8 years in now and going strong with effort for a family of four. Best oven I've ever owned by a country mile but I appreciate it's a sample size of only 1. Bob's perspective should net a bigger sample of course.

Hi Roger,

Ive have the Neff with this type of door for over the last 3 - 4 years without any problems.

The slide under door is not a gimmock and works really well and think it would be good for your mum as it would save stretching putting things in and out of it as you get right up to it.

The better half likes hers (and she's not the easiest to please!)

Go for it.

Regards
Phil

Thanks Bob (x2) and Phil. Sounds like the Neff "slide and hide" is the way to go. It should work well in a small kitchen as well.

Hi Roger, i have an unused AEG built in double oven that came with an ex display kitchen i purchased from Bradfords. Its to big for our revamped kitchen so is for sale if you are interested as we are both in Devon. New price around £500 looking for £300.

sawdust1":29v6j0e7 said:
Hi Roger, i have an unused AEG built in double oven that came with an ex display kitchen i purchased from Bradfords. Its to big for our revamped kitchen so is for sale if you are interested as we are both in Devon. New price around £500 looking for £300.

Thanks sawdust. Unfortunately Mum has a very small kitchen and having seen the "slide and hide" from Neff, really likes the concept. She has no need of a double oven and would prefer the additional storage space. Shame though as it sounds like a great buy.

Back