Instagram followers!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dohertycarpentry

Established Member
Reaction score
Do many of you find social media useful for getting work and clients?

Last edited by a moderator:
Need a website but it doesn’t really drive traffic, Facebook is old hat

I’ve had a few commissions from Instagram, I’ve 5 accounts now 2 of which I use for my business.
I've not got the nous to do a website so make the Instagram accounts work for me.

it's probably better to have a profile rather than not have one, I have been into photography my whole life since childhood so it suits me more than facebook, it definitely gets more attention when you use a decent camera like DSLR and lens compared to photos taken on my phone, that's my observation of it, it seems to favour high quality photos or video and also people who post regularly.

All of my work is off the internet. Most for export. Which, as I've mentioned elsewhere, is fearful with regard to brexit (business to consumer transaction).

Until you become a critical size, where by previous customers talk about you, then be aware that it's a constant thing, not a case of knocking up a web page and thinking that will do.

I mean if you overlaid by web shop sales logs against Facebook posting (etc) you would see a direct correlation.

It's amazing how quickly the internet forgets you exist if you stop talking.

And you always have to be posting new stuff too. Posting the same old stuff again and again just turns into advertising which noone likes. Posting interesting stuff that gives people a few seconds of entertainment is the key - all the while making sure they know it's from you.

I'm no expert though, far from it. Last year I was showing steady growth, but this month we will be paying the mortgage from savings. However all the above still holds true, so long as most of your customers are not based in the vast trade block that we have just left.

If I could turn back time and get rid of all business social media I would. It now seems like an evil necessity of keeping up with the Jones. It’s also very expensive and time consuming if done properly. It’s like a race no one can win as the finish line never gets closer.

A very good friend of mine works for a well known brand of 'top end' professional powertools & I know he gets loads of contacts / sales via instagram.
It certainly seems better than facebook for attracting the correct audience & he is always saying I'm missing out.
But then it needs managing and I have to admit I don't have the time to do so as just so busy elsewhere with all other channels of communication - my mate manages to keep on top of it and posts regularly.
I always feel bad when I read a 4 day old message from someone on social media I wasn't aware of, whereas I ensure e-mail is answered same day.
If it made commercial sense I'd employ someone to look after social media, but like many companies I guess if the business is working at max. capacity then this is a sort of juggle / prioritise with resources / time you have.

Nick, couldn’t agree more, I’m too long in the tooth to find social media promotion natural. I also dislike the time wasters it attracts. I doubt I’ll change my mind now.

If I could turn back time and get rid of all business social media I would. It now seems like an evil necessity of keeping up with the Jones. It’s also very expensive and time consuming if done properly. It’s like a race no one can win as the finish line never gets closer.

That's all fine if you're selling some sort of generic product that people who walk past your village newsagents notice board will buy, but if you're selling more esoteric goods, how would you suggest that a producer connects with their buyers?

That's all fine if you're selling some sort of generic product that people who walk past your village newsagents notice board will buy, but if you're selling more esoteric goods, how would you suggest that a producer connects with their buyers?

Yes u have a valid point

I’m currently solely advertising via Facebook and Instagram. Get more from FB than insta. FB seems more of an older crowd which suits my business (and so do their wallets). But it is changing! The oldies are now finding their way through Instagram.
The paid advertising campaigns are just too good. Pinpoint areas & demographics with relevant adverts. Set your own budget and view all the analytics. Drive them to your website (if you have one). It’s all very time consuming however.

it can often bring in so much work that I have to stop the advertising campaign because I can’t keep up with the quoting. £500- £1000 of advertising will easily attract enough business to keep us busy for a year.

Louis

I’m currently solely advertising via Facebook and Instagram. Get more from FB than insta. FB seems more of an older crowd which suits my business (and so do their wallets). But it is changing! The oldies are now finding their way through Instagram.
The paid advertising campaigns are just too good. Pinpoint areas & demographics with relevant adverts. Set your own budget and view all the analytics. Drive them to your website (if you have one). It’s all very time consuming however.

it can often bring in so much work that I have to stop the advertising campaign because I can’t keep up with the quoting. £500- £1000 of advertising will easily attract enough business to keep us busy for a year.

Louis

I am interested how this works. Do you tell FB/Insta to target homeowners between certain ages, or certain incomes, or is it done another way. I am interested in general rather that the specifics of what you target.

Hi Julian, I fully agree and my earlier post wasn't to talk down the impact it can have. It is crucial (more so now people are choosing on-line only due to obvious reasons) and we do a lot more via YTube, but I'm aware we are not yet doing it properly across all platforms and I'll hold my hands up to that. My retailers who have taken to investing in on-line awareness have thrived last 12 months & those with limited on-line presence have certainly struggled with sales of our machines. Cheers

But at the same time I lack the concentration and interest to build up my Instagram
I am interested how this works. Do you tell FB/Insta to target homeowners between certain ages, or certain incomes, or is it done another way. I am interested in general rather that the specifics of what you target.
You can target ages, hobbies, professions etc Not sure about actual incomes.
You can also pin point (like, to the street) where you want to target and advertise, and then set a radius from that point up to “X”km . Very easy to set up. You do require an existing business Fb page running.

louis

Do many of you find social media useful for getting work and clients?
I have been on facebook for a number of years and it has definitely driven sales, But the increased sales are far surpassed by time wasters and messers.
Overall I'd say worth it.

Can't say anything about other platforms, I haven't tried them, it could get time consuming.

All of my work is off the internet. Most for export. Which, as I've mentioned elsewhere, is fearful with regard to brexit (business to consumer transaction).

Until you become a critical size, where by previous customers talk about you, then be aware that it's a constant thing, not a case of knocking up a web page and thinking that will do.

I mean if you overlaid by web shop sales logs against Facebook posting (etc) you would see a direct correlation.

It's amazing how quickly the internet forgets you exist if you stop talking.

And you always have to be posting new stuff too. Posting the same old stuff again and again just turns into advertising which noone likes. Posting interesting stuff that gives people a few seconds of entertainment is the key - all the while making sure they know it's from you.

I'm no expert though, far from it. Last year I was showing steady growth, but this month we will be paying the mortgage from savings. However all the above still holds true, so long as most of your customers are not based in the vast trade block that we have just left.
Yes i hear you there, currently have a table that's been to Dover and back and 2 side tables waiting to head of to France. Couriers now tell me they have put an embargo on certain commodity's, wooden products being one of them....

Back