Info on a JAcobs chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was just wondering about this: an authentic Jacobs chuck. I have searched around the web and have not found useful info on it other then the supplier and distributors.

What is the big deal about them vs. say another supplier in that it is a one handed lock chuck?

Excuse the ignorance here; but apparently they a very good in what they do but what is the differential and can these be mounted on a power drill.

Two question in there actually.

Does someone know?

Cheers

Jacobs are the best, they rarely if ever let go, you need to check what sort of fitting you require as chucks for bench and floor standing drills have a female taper to fit the chuck, on power drills they tend to use a screw thread.

some one will i am sure tell me i am wrong, but i actually believe that
jacobs is a generic name, since they invented the chuck.

usually it is defined rather like duerallier gears on a bicycle.

basically what everyone believes is a jacob chuck is a 3 jaw one with
a key that closes the whole thing in one go. some earlier ones
were rather like those on 4 jaw lathe chucks, they worked independently
the jacob style ensures that the drill or whatever is held is
concentric with the spindle of the drill.

these days they are mainly found on pillar drills. and the hand tightened
one on drill drivers is similar, but does not have the same holding
strength.

imho :roll:

paul :wink:

A basic question is: after buying one are the threads interchangeable? Or is the situation a one off dependent on the tool. i.e I have to but for power drill at the appropriate thread but at the end of life of the power drill I have to dispose of it unless the next power drill I buy is the same thread. Unless of course all power drills have the same thread?

Cheers.

Jacobs are an American maker who've dominated the market for many years - they pretty much invented the self-centring 3-jaw drill chuck in about 1902. Their chucks are reliable, long-lived and accurate - hence their generally excellent reputation. In fact the only other maker I can think of whose name I know is the German firm of Röhm - probably because the do so many keyless chucks used on German power tools

A point to note about Jacob's chucks is that there are different accuracies. The chucks used on indistrial drilling machines are generally a lot more accurate than those supplied for use on DIY power tools.

Scrit

brian, what you have to do is check the thread on the chuck as you buy
it, and you can buy them separately,
and there are different ones for different sizes.

and yes you can change them to another machine later,
but the economics make so little difference so we tend to
throw away.

paul :wink:

Brian
Jacobs chuck or Rohm Chucks are not cheap and the economics of throwing them away is mildly insane. I still have a couple of refurbishment kits for my Jacobs chuck, which is nearing 20 years old and still perfprming well, in fact better than some new ones I have at work.
The cheap chiwanise chucks may be disposible, but please do not get that idea with what is afterall and expensive purchase.
For accuracy you will want to invest in the right chuck for the job, utter frustration will come from a cheap chuck.

Back