Infill Thumb Plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philly

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks
Finally finished this little project-a dinky little infill plane. It has taken a few months, doing a little here and a little there. But is has come out well and it works just fine!
The body is a bronze casting from Bristol Design. It cost about £30 and is quite a hefty little lump. Sadly it needed a LOT of metalwork to get it into usuable shape (In Jim Kingshotts book "Making and Modifying Woodworking Tools" he makes one from the same casting-he said it just needed a little cleaning up with a file to be able to use it) I bought a small vertical mill to allow me to machine the casting into shape. I also sweated on a steel sole (an interesting experience :wink: )
The woodwork was easy enough (Rosewood) and a couple of coats of BLO makes it look right.
2.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

3.jpg

And here are a couple of obligatory Philly shots......
4.jpg

piggyback.jpg

The plane was fun to make (and that Bronze polishes up really well!!) and I may have a go at another one. Maybe :wink:
Best regards
Philly :D

Really well done, Phil!

Looks so comfortable to use. fwiw, I recommended to a friend to take a look on your web site about this little plane. He's a retired gentleman and is taking some machine shop classes. He's going to point the teacher to your plane and request they design one like it [SolidWorks is part of the class] and then machine one. He obviously was taken by it as well.

Take care, Mike

Philly

Good to see it finished, looks a neat little job.

Mike, don't encourage him anymore, it will only go to his head.

Phill - well done - looks a bit different to the last time I saw it. Very nice little plane - Rob

Well done. Looks like a whole new area to get into (and purchase new tools for !!) :)

Adam

Very nice Philly and I can see the start of a new slope :)
( Hopefully I can stay off this one :roll: )

Thank you, thank you! :oops: :D
It turned out pretty well-metalwork is a pretty new area for me (and not one I want to get into big time :lol: ) but it was enjoyable. I have a new-found respect for anyone who dovetails together a plane.
I also made the iron from some O1 tool stock and heat treated it. It works really well-just been playing with some mahogany and it has been taking some lovely shavings.
Makes the L-N's look a little drab-maybe I should get them on the buffing wheel :lol:
Cheers
P.s.I'm NOT taking orders :lol:

Philly

A lot different to last time I saw the base casting, well done it looks very good and looks like it works as well as it looks :D

you sure your not taking orders??? seems a shame to leave that mill standing idle :wink:

Philly

Looks great.

But are you sure it wasn't just an excuse to buy a vertical milling machine???

Regards.

Came out great then mate - worth the efforts I'm sure. I think that sweating on the new sole was the right thing to do despite the trials and tribulations!

Looks a little shorter than that #8 mate :) I take it that the #8 was included just to tease me? :wink:

Chaps
I don't often need an excuse to buy a tool-the mill? Well, this project was crying out...... :lol:
In use the plane is, well, different. It looks like a one handed plane (block) but works better as a two handed plane due to the weight of the thing. It cuts really well and I've kept the mouth tight so it seems happy with fairly curly stuff.
Incidently, the bed was 15 degrees and the iron is set bevel up and honed at 30 degrees. So it is pitched like a regular bench plane.
Tony-the #8 was there to tempt and tease. I call that picture "The Piggyback" :lol:
Cheers

Alf":3r4v1aa9 said:
And the lathe? What was the excuse for that...? :-k :lol:
Ahh....ummmm.........can I get back to you??? 8-[
Paul
Oh no-that's not old fashioned. I'd call it "cutting edge" :lol:
And yes-pun intended!!!!!
Philly :lol:

Latest posts

Back