Induction hobs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another enthusiast for induction. Bosch glass top in my case, no problems after over 12 years. Bought a set of Judge pans at the same time, still using them happily. One knob has come off one of the lids, that's all.
Keith

phil.p":qcv2jhsu said:
I have to say I've different sorts of pans, but the heaviest cast iron are the most efficient, certainly they're quicker.

Interesting. Do they also turn down quickly though, given the extra "thermal mass" that they must build up?

"The range is suitable for use on all heat sources, including induction, is oven and dishwasher safe* and comes with a reassuring lifetime guarantee."

They specifically state suitability for induction!

Ceramic refers to the finish of a hob rather than the workings of the hob itself. The streamlined and stylish look of ceramic glass along with the ease of use and wipe-clean facade make ceramic hobs a popular choice. While ceramic hobs have traditionally been electric-powered, ceramic induction hobs and gas on glass hobs offer an alternative heating method with an easy-to-clean surface.

Read more: http://www.which.co.uk/reviews/hobs/art ... s-and-cons - Which?
Your pans are marked suitable for induction hobs.

Yes, I saw they were suitable for induction. I just wondered what they meant by ceramic.

Thanks for the link Phil.

phil.p":3jiodo53 said:
Well, four years later it's still fine and I wouldn't go back to gas simply because the hob is so easy to clean. :D
Ditto.
Building regs required extractor but it's hardly necessary unless you do a lot of deep frying, or burn things. Saves on heating bills if you don't switch it on.
Stainless fine. Handy if you have a steel tea pot you can top it up and hot it up again and save a fortune on tea leaves.
We bought a cast iron frying pan https://www.vonshef.com/vs_en/search/?q=cast%20iron
totally superior to stainless or aluminium and very cheap to buy. Fried eggs just like they used to be! A bit heavy - you'd have a job to toss a pancake

We were fortunate, much of our stuff is Le Creuset anyway. Some of it's getting a bit tatty after 33 years, but hey ho. Some of the rest works fine and we passed on a few other good ones to my daughter.
I have a couple of cheap pans with the steel encapsulated in the bases that we bought when we got the cooker - an unexpected bonus is that they are slow .............. which seems an odd thing to say, but it makes cooking stuff that burns easily easier. My loved one managed to "lose" my favourite cast iron skillet when we moved house - she struggled to lift it with both hands. I bought it for 50p at a car boot, but it still grieves me. However I have a le Creuset fish skillet that I picked up new for a fiver. :D

Cast Iron works great on induction hobs but you need to take your time heating it up, on wider pans it is very easy to get hot spots as cast iron doesn't dissipate the heat very well. My large skillet develops a strong hot spot in the middle if I am not careful.

Stainless pans works well, that's what most of mine are. Enamel carbon steel I only use for soups and similar, too thin to heat evenly and you get hot spots.

My favourite and in my personal opinion the absolute best is a thick aluminium (ceramic non-stick if possible) with encapsulated base designed for induction. Heats quickly and very evenly, no hot spots and works well for gentle simmering as well. Not too heavy to lug around either.

Back