Indicators

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossJarvis

Established Member
Reaction score
Did someone else start a thread about indicators on cars a while back? I need to cross two junctions to go anywhere and on the whole I just can't see the indicators working on the front of cars these days. making leaving home a fairly hazardous experience A few years ago indicators were orange mouldings on either side of cars and you could see them flash. These days front indicators seem to be teeny tiny orange wotsits inside large clear lamp clusters which are really difficult to see.

It seems that stylists are more important than engineers in designing cars now, although they are much less important than accountants (AKA Devils Spawn).

Try living in Cyprus.
Any cypriot who uses his indicators is actually a UK visitor.

And by definition, any UK visitor who crosses the centre line with more than 40% of the cars width is actually a Cypriot.
After 50 years of motorcycling without a broken bone I gave up shortly after moving here.

Whatever type of flashing indicators you have, they have to be a vast improvement on the old side arm trafficators like I had on my old Austin A35. Damn things would jam and not come out, and when they did work they were barely noticeable. Positively dangerous - but then so was the rest of the thing, totally rubbish brakes, ineffective windscreen demister etc etc. I hated it.

K

I think indicators are ok, but some of the lights and daylight running lights are seriously bright and stop you from seeing indicators. Also I find that the emergency services lights are so bright that if they are pulled up and I need to pass that I'm completely blinded. Even some traffic lights seem too bright.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I once got cut up round an island by an old bloke, I pulled up along side him and asked why, he replied didn't you see my indicator? I guess he is one of those who think indicators magically make a gap appear!

Pete

Racers":jrmck0hb said:
I once got cut up round an island by an old bloke, I pulled up along side him and asked why, he replied didn't you see my indicator? I guess he is one of those who think indicators magically make a gap appear!

Pete

LOL...you just reminded me of a recent experience with an old guy on a bicycle. I'd overtaken him (on the other side of the road before any Cyclistas get their Lycra in a twist) and shortly afterwards came to a halt at a set of traffic lights (and no, again before the Cyclistas have another chance to get their Lycra in a twist, it did not have an ASL box). I was turning left and my left indicator was merrily flashing away. He decides to ride up on the inside between my car and the pavement.

I can see where this might be going and so I wound down my window and politely asked him if he was intending to turn left or go straight on.
'Straight on' he replied. To which I politely pointed out that he was a singularly stupid individual since my indicator was clearly flashing and that if I hadn't asked him then chances were he'd have ended up underneath the car. He looked at me in total and utter incomprehension. Wonder how long before he does end up underneath the wheels of a car and the poor car driver will be blamed. Still, he's a great Darwin Award candidate.

Reminds me of a story my dad tells. Going back probably 60 odd yrs, he pulls up to some lights in a wagon and trailer indicating left. A cyclist duly comes alongside and sits in my dad's blind spot (no fancy mirror things in those days). His passenger winds the windows down and says

'tek thi glasses off!

'Why, asks the cyclist?

'Cause when them lights go green, we're gonna run over ya and I'd hate to ruin a pair of expensive specs like them!'

I'm from Yorkshire so forgive the attempt at our dialect.

For some reason cyclists seem to remove any road sense as soon as they are on their bikes. I bet half of them curse every one else when they are driving anywhere.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

A long time ago when I was unfortunate enough to have to spend 2 1/2 years in Singapore serving in the R.A.F. it was the taxi drivers who had to be watched. They were really dedicated in showing their intentions whislt driving and you could tell exactly that if one of them gave a hand signal that his window was open! Other than that the signal could mean anything?

The French are wonderful on roundabouts. They will enterr it and then go right around the outside lane to turn left and give no indication of where they intent to go and then at the last minute turn off. Or they will go round in the outside lane and indicate right, to leave, a couple of turnings before they get to the one they want. It isn't the way that they are taught for the test, but it is the universal method they use. It does make roundabouts interesting?

There is no way that I would ride a push bike on any main road here!

graduate_owner":1ru83hus said:
Whatever type of flashing indicators you have, they have to be a vast improvement on the old side arm trafficators like I had on my old Austin A35. Damn things would jam and not come out, and when they did work they were barely noticeable. Positively dangerous - but then so was the rest of the thing, totally rubbish brakes, ineffective windscreen demister etc etc. I hated it.

K
I was going to add about trafficators, I have a 1954 A30 on long term restoration, try buying trafficators now, they cost a fortune, I may add motorcycle indicators bolted to the bumpers when I get that far, oh, and fit disc brakes, and, if I can get one, a 1275cc engine....

Hmmm, so far on this thread we have had people insulting cyclists, bmw drivers, accountants, SUV drivers, which probably covers a significant proportion of the forum membership I would guess !

Some of us might fit in several of those categories at once ! :lol:

Hmmmmmm? An accountant on a BMW 4 wheel drive bike :shock:

That would draw a certain amount of curiosity init! :? :?

I had an A30 for a while when I was in Singapore, but after I lost an argument with a Chinese truck one evening on the way home from work it wasn't ever the sam again. It did take the back axle off the truck though, but I was on crutches for 6 weeks :cry: :cry:

HOJ, did you know that in the above situation, if you drive straight armed you can stuff the steering wheel through the windscreen before your head goes through it. No seat belts in the car of course, not fitted in those daze. I heard some say that it improved my looks somewhat?

Jonzjob":2j76xdv9 said:
Hmmmmmm? An accountant on a BMW 4 wheel drive bike :shock:

That would draw a certain amount of curiosity init! :? :?

:lol: I didn't say which of them applied, and not necessarily all at the same time ! :lol:

Jonzjob":158u0rcr said:
HOJ, did you know that in the above situation, if you drive straight armed you can stuff the steering wheel through the windscreen before your head goes through it. No seat belts in the car of course, not fitted in those daze. I heard some say that it improved my looks somewhat?
I had a head on collision in an old Mini years ago - when I looked at the car afterwards, the steering wheel was in its usual plane - but the horn button in its centre was outside the car. The steering column was near "U" shaped. I broke my nose. (the only one of six broken noses that weren't caused by a fist or a foot :D )

HOJ":2lmivwsb said:
graduate_owner":2lmivwsb said:

K
I was going to add about trafficators, I have a 1954 A30 on long term restoration, try buying trafficators now, they cost a fortune, I may add motorcycle indicators bolted to the bumpers when I get that far, oh, and fit disc brakes, and, if I can get one, a 1275cc engine....
Do some research into retro fit LED ones - they're not very expensive. I remember from somewhere that they now have to be a certain distance from the ground, but then if you're doing the work you'll have checked that out.

phil.p":zkkjwh67 said:
Do some research into retro fit LED ones - they're not very expensive. I remember from somewhere that they now have to be a certain distance from the ground, but then if you're doing the work you'll have checked that out.
I will use LED, I have also made an LED to fit in the Trafficator, brighter, and will flash, that will confuse everyone, the fact its pre 1960 means it doesn't need an MOT, so no real issues with positioning.

Back