Indexing Ring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerBoyle

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
Short history
I've got a Draper variable speed lathe which has done everything thats been asked of it over the last 7-8 years but all my turning experience has been strictly between centers
I am completly self taught and have enjoyed what i have done so far But I've now decided that its time to learn the lathe properly So.I've just ordered from Rutlands a 4 Jaw scroll chuck which i've seen a few folks on here recommend.

Again this is the first Chuck that i have ever had so what things should i look out for ??

Now I've noticed that it comes with an Indexing Ring
Can some kind sole please tell me what and how the ring works.
I assume its to give even spacing but does it get locked in place while you mark things up or plough out coves/beads twists etc
LOL sorry about the questions but I learnt a long time ago its better to ask and look a fool rather than not ask and be the fool

Roger

the indexing ring locks the spindle in a set place for you to do work to the piece that doesnt involve the machine spinning (marking out etc.)
you can get ones with many holes so the spindle can be locked at many different intervals.

just remember to unlock the indexing before attempting to start the lathe.... :oops:

I have an Axminster indexing rind fitted on my K8 Axy chuck. 24 holes and an arm fixed to the back of the lathe that swings up to lock the chuck. Greta for doing the marking for the candy twist candlesticks, tractor wheels, etc. Not used that often, but when needed it just makes things so much easier!

I also use it when sanding the flutes on the candy twist candlesticks..

Latest posts

Back