Incra's Rulers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone use these on a regular basis? I bought one about 5yrs ago because I thought it looked 'really cool'. But when it arrived I realised you needed a .5mm mechanical pencil to use it. It went in the drawer and today I found it again. I've just ordered myself a .5mm mechanical pencil to have a play.

marking_rules.jpg

Are they useful or a gimmick?

Now THAT is clever! I have always admired Incra's fences etc...but that is really clever.

How much and where is the best place to get one. I could Google it but you guys always know the best deals around on these things....it's my birthday next month...one for the kids methinks!

(ya didn't buy it from Rutlands did you Tom?! :wink: )

Jim

Yeah I have the same one Tom, but as the years are catching up with me I now find that I need glasses to see the tiny figures :lol: Very useful but expensive. I was thinking about getting their "bend rule" that goes around conners.

Cheers

Mike

The videosuggests that they do three lengths. Being that I bought it at least 5yrs ago, then it probably was from Rutlands. Maybe it was even the beginning of the road of decent? :roll: :wink:

I do sometimes wish I could easily mark down to half a mm with accuracy, so it should be useful. Mine is the flexi one that can mark cylinders.

Ah ya never know Wiser might be looking to get rid of his, he's saving up for my Woodrat.

They are dead on accurate and very easy to use, you just have to obtain pencils suitable for them, irritatingly ScrewFix don't provide that type free, only the wooden ones, for some reason every time I go in there for something I come out with at least 4... If you stay at The Village hotels they provide them free in each room.

Aidan

I doubt I paid the prices they are now. The other ones in the range look useful also Will report back when I get the pencil, sounds like I've been sitting on something very useful.

I've bought a couple, and so far so good - basically because i find steel rules very hard to read these days and strong light produces all sorts of glare. Their service and handling of orders is absolutely excellent - they e-mail a cost for shipping and request approval before finalising the order. (Mark is a really helpful guy)

They are quite a lot cheaper bought from Incra's web shop (which is discounting at the moment) than in the UK: https://www.incrementaltools.com/Articles.asp?ID=160

Not sure how you guys do on duty and VAT, but anybody in business should be able to reclaim the VAT.

More info on the company site: http://www.incra.com/product_measuring_ ... layout.htm There's some demo videos on the company site too. http://incra.com/video_demos.htm

One of the most useful items is the combination of a rule with a cross piece to make a T rule - very good for scribing lines by just sliding it along with the pencil through it.

0.5mm pencils are very widely available and are cheap - it's not really a blocker..

ian

wizer":3rcni8rj said:
I doubt I paid the prices they are now. The other ones in the range look useful also Will report back when I get the pencil, sounds like I've been sitting on something very useful.

In which case you probably have the incra bend rule ;)

Actually what I really fancy is the tiny T-rule - but not seen it this side of the pond

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2001742/2482/Tiny-T-rule.aspx

I'd be interested in exactly how anyone uses one of these. I've watched the video and it only shows marking quite unrelated to making anything.

For example, I recently made some mortice and tenoned door frames. For the marking part of the job I had the stiles and rails clamped up in pairs, and used a try square across four or six pieces at once. Slide the try-square into position (with the ruler resting on it, on edge) then remove the ruler and mark the line all the way across. As far as I know this is normal practice.

When a mark is for a cut, it's done with a knife. To square round, the knife sits in the cut and you slide the square up to meet it.

For breadth and thickness, I use a marking gauge, not a ruler. I don't think poking the pin of the gauge through a hole in a ruler would be any easier.

And although the slots and holes on these rulers are undoubtedly spot on the numerical measurements, generally what matters is not a part's absolute size, but making it match something else - no numbers involved.

Am I missing something?

I have the T-square,bend and the standard - very good apart from the T-square not being square and they are very thin, I knocked some wood against my standard one and it now has a kink in it which doesn't help as it really needs to be flat for layout - but apart from that they are great.

Ian

Back