INCA table saw aluminium top repair

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gerard Scanlan

Established Member
Reaction score
Last week I bought an INCA table saw and mortiser for 100 euro. This little Swiss antique from the seventies is in perfect working order but the aluminium top looks more like a flag stone. I want to know what the best way to repair the surface is. Should I sand it with increasingly fine sand paper and once have achieved a mirror like finish treat it with some kind of sealant? If so can anyone recommend any particular product. The extension tables are still in perfect condition.

Hi Gerard

That was quite a deal you got there...well done.

I restored my little INCA (a £15 bootfair find) a few years back and the table tops are anodized aluminium

You therefore have to consider when they get corroded that they are back to the aluminium and therefore really should be re-anodized once restored. But I found that this was not necessary at all and a quick wipe over with Camelia Oil each time I finish using it, has protected it through two winters:

BEFORE:

130920091388.jpg

inca3.jpg

AFTER:

DSC_00027.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

Most of the corrosion comes off with dilute Phosphoric Acid - sold as "Aluminium Cleaner" in Machine Mart if you want to go that way...it's cheap enough anyway.

Then use abrasives down the grits depending on pitting from about 120G to 320G should be enough but using a known flat surface to stick the papers to...like a sheet of MDF.

Also chuck the blade and put in a Freud Diablo...

DSC_02.JPG

....and reset the riving knife...a 190mm fits

DSC_0034.JPG

....you will need a spacer.

DSC_05.JPG

It is a remarkable saw and worth restoring! Hope this helps but if you need any tips don't hesitate to ask.

Jim

What a magnificent answer. I will certainly try what you have suggested with regards to the top. I think that I will have to construct a plywood surround for the saw so that I can collect the dust a bit more effectively. The three blades that came with it (original INCA and still sharp are indeed not magnificent) I believe you have the larger saw as a 175mm blade seems to be the maximum on my saw. The INCA blades also do not appear to be completely flat as they wobble ever so slightly as they rotate. I was thinking of ordering some sheffield made blades from workshop heaven as they can be supplied with a 15mm bore hole and. But if all else fails I had noticed that the freud blades were very popular with INCA owners. I have also noticed that the table vibrates when running, it is not so bad that it effects using it but it is more noticeable than any other saws of this size I have used before, is this usual? Or is something not quite in balance? The saw I bought has every single optional extra that was available for it. Table extensions, spindle moulder and bits, several mortise bits, tenon jigs, hold downs the lot. Pity it didn't have a cast iron top but at least I know how to fix that now!

Hi Gerard

You are most welcome. The 175mm blade did come with mine...but it is only 15mm more for a 190mm blade and that is 7.5mm more from centre radius and if you adjust the riving knife backwards it fits.

Your idea of ordering a 15mm bore is a much better solution however...that is the way to go and Matthew is your man!

The INCA saws came with wobble blades (dado like) and you may have these. They are meant to wobble to produce rabbets

I would like the other bit but for now I use mine for precision cutting of small stock. That cut above was solid oak and it cut a thin strip of consistent thickness in one pass...

DSC_0040.JPG

Not bad for a 30 year old saw which cost £15 at a bootfair! The SUVA guard is magic...I would love one of those on my Scheppach and am working on that design. I want to get the extension arms at some time and table insert but not that worried for now.

Good luck with your restoration and don't forget to post some WIP pictures as you go along!

Jim

yes, I am aware that this is a (very) old post but I hope that Jim is still a member of this forum

I recently bought also such an Inca and was curious about the 190mm Diablo blade. Is your Inca a 341.017 ? I only have a 1.7mm splitter so assume that you have a thin kerf installed ?

thx

Latest posts

Back