Improving my Moxon dovetailing vise

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek Cohen (Perth Oz)

Established Member
Reaction score
I built a Moxon dovetail vise in January based on the one Chris Schwarz published in his blog. I think it is the next best thing to sliced bread. It has changed the way we will design benches.

At the time I added a few tweeks to Chris' version, such as a wider base with wings to aid clamping, and the I-beam.

5.jpg

I've been building a lot of drawers lately. What I've discovered is that I dislike the long handles used by Moxon. They are difficult to grip, require considerable effort to loosen (they tighten very well), and take up a lot of space in front of the vise (there is the danger of unwittingly bumping into one of the handles - of course if you stand still you are safe ... unless if you are like me, and frequently bend down to pick up something dropped :oops: ).

So today I modified the handles. I turned one long Jarrah dowel, created two new handles, and sawed the originals to short stubs.

Moxonrebuild1.jpg

Moxonrebuild4.jpg

These new handles make using and adjusting this vise an absolute doddle. A wonderful piece of kit.

The other important factor to keep in mind with a Moxon dovetail vise is that after you set up the vise, you only adjust it thereafter with one handle.

The link to the full article on my website is: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/MoxonDovetailVise.html

Regards from Perth

Derek

Looks like a big improvement Derek, I'm considering making another bench but the whole front would be a moxon. All except the far left hand end, which would be a normal vice. I haven't thought of all the problems making it yet, or if its even practical for the way I work. I think there might be too much going on to be practical, which is probably why no one has done it before(not to my knowledge anyway), or why everyone I've seen is bench mounted.

Hi Mark

Having a separate bench that one can set up the Moxon vise is ideal - if you have room. The bench can be higher still, which makes marking out and sawing so much more pleasant.

I have a small foldout benchtop I built in the corner of my workshop. I use it for shooting or for the mitre saw.

ImagesOfMyWoodshop_html_m57e71b6.jpg

This has proved ideal for the Moxon vise ..

Dovetailing1a.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Back